The Student Room Group

Law Applicants (2020 Entry)

Anyone else applying for law this year for 2020 entry?

I'm thinking of applying to Bristol, Exeter, Cardiff and two others that I haven't decided yet.

I'm really scared that I'm not smart enough for law haha!
As a recent law graduate (graduated with a 2:1), let me just say that I had appalling A Level grades and found a HE college that would accept me with 2 D's. Some parts are difficult to understand but the majority of my degree was about the application of the law rather than just recalling facts. If there were two options, you could go either way so long as you could justify your opinion.
Idk what to do because all the unis I'm looking at are RG and so I'm scared I'm making a mistake by potentially applying for 5 RG unis? Don't really know what to do because I don't want to go through the stress of thinking I'm gonna get rejected by every uni I apply to
Reply 3
I don't think my GCSEs are good enough (1a*, 2a, 1b, 4c, m2) and I'm really worried about it even though I'm predicted A*A*A (maybe even tri A*) :frown:

I'm also applying for all RG
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bioelle
I don't think my GCSEs are good enough (1a*, 2a, 1b, 4c, m2) and I'm really worried about it even though I'm predicted A*A*A (maybe even tri A*) :frown:

I’m worried about extra curricular stuff aswell because I know that it’s really important to do stuff around your subject and I just don’t know what to do
Reply 5
Original post by studya03
I’m worried about extra curricular stuff aswell because I know that it’s really important to do stuff around your subject and I just don’t know what to do

I do MUN with my school but I'd defo try read some law books and stuff like that, it seems to be really hard to get them for law
Super-curriculars (excu related to your subject) are always good but you can still do excus not related to your subject and they'll still be good :smile:
Original post by bioelle
I do MUN with my school but I'd defo try read some law books and stuff like that, it seems to be really hard to get them for law
Super-curriculars (excu related to your subject) are always good but you can still do excus not related to your subject and they'll still be good :smile:

I’ve been reading a few books around law but I’m scared that won’t be enough. I went to a law taster day recently and have got a work experience in a legal department planned out; I also want to shadow a solicitor for a day. My school doesn’t really have many opportunities to do things (i mentor a year 11 once a week but that’s it)
Original post by studya03
Idk what to do because all the unis I'm looking at are RG and so I'm scared I'm making a mistake by potentially applying for 5 RG unis? Don't really know what to do because I don't want to go through the stress of thinking I'm gonna get rejected by every uni I apply to

RG are no different to non RG Unis in that the main criteria they will use to decide whether to offer someone a place or not will be predicted grades. Do you know what your predicted grades are likely to be? You will have a much better idea by the time you apply to Uni, and so can target your applications accordingly. For example, if you are predicted AAB and you apply to unis asking for AAB, you will almost certainly get offers. The work experience you have mentioned definitely sounds good enough for RG Law but it is your predicted grades that will be the decider.
Original post by bioelle

Your GCSEs are good enough for RG Law, especially with those predicted A level results
Reply 9
Original post by harrysbar
Your GCSEs are good enough for RG Law, especially with those predicted A level results

Thanks :smile: I just know it's so competitive and I know for other competitive degrees e.g. medicine you need to have a perfect profile
Original post by bioelle
Thanks :smile: I just know it's so competitive and I know for other competitive degrees e.g. medicine you need to have a perfect profile

Law is nowhere near as competitive as medicine, you will be fine :smile:
Original post by harrysbar
RG are no different to non RG Unis in that the main criteria they will use to decide whether to offer someone a place or not will be predicted grades. Do you know what your predicted grades are likely to be? You will have a much better idea by the time you apply to Uni, and so can target your applications accordingly. For example, if you are predicted AAB and you apply to unis asking for AAB, you will almost certainly get offers. The work experience you have mentioned definitely sounds good enough for RG Law but it is your predicted grades that will be the decider.

I’m predicted A*A*A*A* but idk how realistic that really is - I might apply for Oxford but even though my gcse grades (99998887 D2* A*AB(the B is in ICT and was worth half a gcse)) and predicteds are good I'm just not sure what else I can do that will boost my application?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending