The Student Room Group

Is it good to revise all night?

Now I have done this several times when I would study all night, and I think nearly everyone has. I am just always think it is not really that good/effective to revise all night. Please help me with this question if anybody here knows the answer.
(edited 5 years ago)
I mean - I do all-nighters every now and then, often when I need to get an essay done, but I don't think it's a good thing to do. If I procrastinated less I would probably be able to get the work done during daylight hours and not mess up my sleeping pattern!
it’s a terrible idea to revise all night. your brain gets fed with too much information and it often forgets the important parts. focus on one subject/ topic a night then relax for the rest of the night, allowing your brain to absorb all the information it has taken in throughout your revision period
Original post by Artie_Ilin
Now I have done this several times when I would study all night, and I think nearly everyone has. I am just always think it is not really that good/effective to revise all night. Please help me with this question if anybody here knows the answer.

Yeah... no. You might as well be partying all night, because the likeliness of you remembering anything you've learnt during the night time is staggeringly low, especially as you would be (presumably) very tired. Basically, it's pointless and sleep is ESSENTIAL in helping you retain information. Don't be so hard on yourself with revision, and go sleep :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)
For me, pulling an all-nighter is more readily associated with meeting an essay or publication deadline. It’s very well established that regular sleep is required to sort, file and store knowledge acquired during daylight hours, so don’t underestimate the benefits of conforming to a regular body clock.

Quick Reply

Latest