The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
jocky
I actually like computing hence why im taking AH next year :biggrin:

Still 2 exams to go though.. :frown:

I also like computing, due to most of the marks being simple calculations and one word/line answers (it's not that much different to int2). Our school doesn't do AH computing, so I'm stuck with AH chemistry and biology, and crashing higher bus man and info systems. Should be ok.

P.S Thanks for helping out for that read/write thing jocky, we never really got any solid notes for that.
Reply 61
I too like computing, however I think that's due to the fantastic teacher that I have.
I'm also doing advanced higher, the programming project is worth something like 40%! Its a gift of marks.
Reply 62
So how is everyone feeling about the exam tomorrow?

I've calmed down since yesterday and I have realised I'm not terrible at Computing, I'm quite good, and it isn't a hard higher so I should just calm the hell down :p:
Reply 63
That's good that you've calmed down, CE - computing isn't that difficult at all! (especially if you've done well in your coursework. :biggrin:)

I have but one teeny tiny computing-related question: what's the difference between scope and domain? Does it matter if I use either? (global vs. local variables, etc).
I know you don't have to use them but we were taught to and now I forget...
Reply 64
I know that scope refers to the parts of the program that can see and use the variable

I got 55 for my coursework :smile:

Using last years marks I've worked out if it is about the same I will need about 82/140 marks for an A
Reply 65
82/140... I think Chemistry could take a leaf out of Computing's book. XD

How many people got As last year?
Reply 66
I fricked up chemistry so I'm hoping to makeup for it in Computing

691 people
Reply 67
ChocolateEyes
I fricked up chemistry so I'm hoping to makeup for it in Computing

691 people

you know how many sat?
Reply 68
Reply 69
Wow that's not many at all when you put it like that :frown:
Reply 70
^^ Don't worry, our coursework is good, we can afford to screw up the exam a bit more than those who got like 40/60 on coursework
Reply 71
was last year the same with the 60/200 for coursework or has it changed for this year?

if it was how many people failed? it seems pretty hard to fail considering the coursework is that much of the final grade
Reply 72
I'm pretty sure it was the same last year, cause the whole exam was out of 200

1083 people failed, but have no fear! We won't. just keep telling yourself that
Reply 73
oh god a 1/4 of all who sat! im worried lol
Reply 74
anyone got any idea as to what is likely to come up in exam? from past papers and tips from teachers?
Reply 75
its ok! We will all do fine!

The exam can't be that hard can it?
Reply 76
stevo1
anyone got any idea as to what is likely to come up in exam? from past papers and tips from teachers?

yeah, before study leave, me and my friend made a list of common questions that came up in the past few years. by no way are we predicting wot will come up in this year's paper, its just a good idea to know wot was on that list.

i'll try and find it and post it up
Reply 77
It's the multimedia unit I'll lose most of my marks on cause I never seem to put the right thing
Reply 78
Im slightly worried about this exam dont really know what to expect! Im crap at writing algorithms and my AI aint too good either apart from the prolog stuff...
Reply 79

Calculating storage rqrmnts

Two's Complement

Maintenance (adaptive, corrective and perfective

definitions of 'reliable' and 'robust'

Standard Algorithms (Counting Occurences, Finiding max/min, Linear Search

Variables (global, local, and different variable types eg arrays)

Software Specification

there are a few more but those above are the main ones

Latest

Trending

Trending