The Student Room Group

BAME only graduate scheme?

Hi, this is a potentilly sensitive issue so please no douche bag or ignorant racist comments. I was doing some job searching, and I came across a scheme but it said:
"We are looking for candidates who are BAME " and
"We are proud of our diversity (29% of staff are BAME) and we value lived experience (40% of staff have experienced mental health problems)". I honestly don't understand how an organisation can pride itself on being diverse whilst also advertising for a job that is for only black asian and minority ethnics. Is anybody else confused by this? Can anybody explain this to me? Surely this is the polar opposite of diversity?
Original post by oglez92
Hi, this is a potentilly sensitive issue so please no douche bag or ignorant racist comments. I was doing some job searching, and I came across a scheme but it said:
"We are looking for candidates who are BAME " and
"We are proud of our diversity (29% of staff are BAME) and we value lived experience (40% of staff have experienced mental health problems)". I honestly don't understand how an organisation can pride itself on being diverse whilst also advertising for a job that is for only black asian and minority ethnics. Is anybody else confused by this? Can anybody explain this to me? Surely this is the polar opposite of diversity?

A quick google search of your quotations leads to the organisation and the job ad, and it's not until you get to the recruitment pack and application form that you see there's no mention of the job being for any particular group - so this seems to be all about how they position the job to be more attractive to BAME students.

That said, if 29% of their staff are BAME then one could argue that as a group they're over-represented - 13% of UK are BAME (according to official figures www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/ethnicity-in-the-uk) and that if they wanted to be truly representative of society they should be recruiting more white British staff!
Reply 2
Original post by Duncan2012
A quick google search of your quotations leads to the organisation and the job ad, and it's not until you get to the recruitment pack and application form that you see there's no mention of the job being for any particular group - so this seems to be all about how they position the job to be more attractive to BAME students.

That said, if 29% of their staff are BAME then one could argue that as a group they're over-represented - 13% of UK are BAME (according to official figures www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/ethnicity-in-the-uk) and that if they wanted to be truly representative of society they should be recruiting more white British staff!

I see. That's a good point . Can you see how it's a misleading?
Interesting statistics there. It doesn't seem to be representetive

Quick Reply

Latest