The Student Room Group

Fees for EU Citzens who are Residents of a non-EU country

For the MSc course I am looking at the rules seem clear. To pay the standard UK/EU course fees:

"You must be a UK/EU resident for the full three years prior to the start date of the course".

I understand that. If I have been a resident of a non-EU country in that time I must pay the overseas fee. My question is.... really? Is that really what people are doing? I know there are huge numbers of people who move abroad for a time before their bachelours or masters and I can't imagine they are all paying double for their courses.

In my case I have been living and working outside of the EU and was hoping to apply for a masters course this year. The fees for an EU resident are £10,000 and the fees for overseas more than £20,000. I assume it would be fairly easy to lie however my job abroad would be an integral part of my application.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I can accept and understand the rule I just can't believe that anyone is following it considering the costs.
Yes, those are the rules, and lying about it is a very risky option (fraudulent) given that they will have the likes of tax returns etc. and even immigration records if they end up looking into it. If fees are a concern, Germany offers almost tuition free graduate study, regardless of EU or non EU, where I am finishing now (the Netherlands) offered domestic fees regardless of residency (2000 euros), but I'm not sure if that will still be possible following Brexit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending