The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE History

I do Germany, Conflict and Tension, Medicine and the Normans. I just did a Norman mock and screwed up ... badly. I barely wrote a thing. How should I revise for History? I just feel as if there’s way too much to learn in two and a half months
Reply 1
i think the main thing is working out what type of revision suits you best. (ie/ visual, kinaesthetic, vocal, etc.)

if learning the content seems really scary i think first making a timeline of all the events and then making three bullet points about what happens with each key event might help. when i'm really struggling to revise i usually try and turn it into a story to make it seem less like a torrent of dates and statistics. also it's important to remember that learning all the dates isn't the most important thing, understanding the events, their significance and links with each other is a lot more useful and shows that you really know what you're talking about.

once i break up all the courses into their subsections, i make diagrams about how diff factors link to each other and because this isn't dense with writing and notes, it's much easier to remember and understand the bigger picture.

i hope at least some of this is helpful but don't worry if it isn't because not every technique will work and it really is impossible to remember all the facts for the actual exams.
Hi, I take A Level History and I revise mainly by mind maps and timelines (and then putting them up on my wall). I try to make them more simple and easy to remember so I can glance at them whilst cleaning my room or something, and then write up some more detailed notes in my book. During my GCSE year, I put key dates and what happened on post-it notes all around my house, on the fridge, opposite the loo, on my mirrors and I think it really helped!

I also recommend Quizlet for remembering dates as well. :smile:
I suggest memrise.com for dates, its has a bunch of gcse courses.
What I did for remembering event was create a stupid sentence with the first letter of each event. The stupider the better.
One I still remember from GCSE (im in yr 13) was for the rise of Nazi Germany:
Run! No Elmo Blasphemic Bunnies Need Devils Armor= Reichstag fire, enabling act, ban of political parties, ban of trade unions, night of the long knives, death of Hindenburg and army oath.

Like it sounds stupid, but this stuff really works for exams. It also creates a connection between certain events which makes it easier to link to things during essays.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending