The Student Room Group

EEE failed fourth year project

I'm currently in 4th year EEE, I'm confident I've failed my fourth year project. Exams are still to go which I'm on track to pass at the very least. I was thinking of going back to college to do the HND once I graduate as I'm confident I can get an A - I've already done the HNC and passed with an A (this was a requirement to get in to uni) This would almost certainly look better on my CV than a pass degree. Any advice?
Reply 1
Hi, how are you so confident you have failed? A pass is 40% or perhaps 50% for masters, in your case. Have you had your report checked by your supervisor before you submitted it for feedback?
Reply 2
I didn't, my project didn't even work so I was scrambling towards the end trying everything I could to get something, the results and conclusions were pretty much non existent, I've had potentially the worst year I've ever had at uni I am confident I can get 50-60% in all the exams, if it wasn't for the project I would be OK I was just wondering what the prospects are. Struggled with anxiety throughout uni and depression this year. I work part time and on one particular occasion I had to leave early to go to A&E because I thought I was having a heart attack last semester (sounds ridiculous I'm 22, never had anything like that in my entire life) Should have deferred then but now I'm in the situation where its too late. Damage control!

To answer the question the report was 7000 out of 12000 guideline, questionable circuit analysis in the design stage no results no testing and like 5 lines of a conclusion (I was writing it right up until the deadline).

I've accepted I'm failing it I'm trying to work past it and do the best I can in the other classes.

Pretty depressing, I know I shouldn't be thinking about what I'm going to do after uni whilst I'm still in the semester but I'm trying to figure out at least some form of plan to make myself feel better. Employers won't seriously consider a pass degree so HND sounds like the best option to try and mitigate some of the damage done

Original post by H.a.hx
Hi, how are you so confident you have failed? A pass is 40% or perhaps 50% for masters, in your case. Have you had your report checked by your supervisor before you submitted it for feedback?
Reply 3
Original post by studyTID
I didn't, my project didn't even work so I was scrambling towards the end trying everything I could to get something, the results and conclusions were pretty much non existent, I've had potentially the worst year I've ever had at uni I am confident I can get 50-60% in all the exams, if it wasn't for the project I would be OK I was just wondering what the prospects are. Struggled with anxiety throughout uni and depression this year. I work part time and on one particular occasion I had to leave early to go to A&E because I thought I was having a heart attack last semester (sounds ridiculous I'm 22, never had anything like that in my entire life) Should have deferred then but now I'm in the situation where its too late. Damage control!

To answer the question the report was 7000 out of 12000 guideline, questionable circuit analysis in the design stage no results no testing and like 5 lines of a conclusion (I was writing it right up until the deadline).

I've accepted I'm failing it I'm trying to work past it and do the best I can in the other classes.

Pretty depressing, I know I shouldn't be thinking about what I'm going to do after uni whilst I'm still in the semester but I'm trying to figure out at least some form of plan to make myself feel better. Employers won't seriously consider a pass degree so HND sounds like the best option to try and mitigate some of the damage done

Okay, I’ve done a similar degree to you which is physics and trust me they are very lenient. No one is expecting you to get perfect results from your experiment, even if you’re results aren’t right you can always explain why and what happened. I think the best thing in this situation is to talk to your supervisor and explain what happened, maybe you can submit and eventuality circumstances form and they can take that into consideration of what affected you. Remember your report is not the whole module, there should be a presentation as well as your progress throughout the year as part of the module. So not to worry. My report last year was only 50% of the module.
Reply 4
I'm currently in 4th year EEE, I'm confident I've failed my fourth year project. Exams are still to go which I'm on track to pass at the very least. I was thinking of going back to college to do the HND once I graduate as I'm confident I can get an A - I've already done the HNC and passed with an A (this was a requirement to get in to uni) This would almost certainly look better on my CV than a pass degree. Any advice?

Moved from Learning to drive (!) to University life

What marks did you get at the end of Year 3? You can't go back and do an HND - that's equivalent to Year 2...

Hold on, are you at a Scottish university?

They will 100% make you pass. If you have good report presentation i.e. justified text, labelled figures, contents page etc. And you got some results for your project even if they are wrong and you have tried to write some sort of conclusion + discussion you will be fine honestly.

You'll pass, just DONT **** up the exams :biggrin:
Reply 6
yeah I am, 50ish %. I know that but surely better with an A at that level than an ordinary degree?
Original post by Doones
Moved from Learning to drive (!) to University life

What marks did you get at the end of Year 3? You can't go back and do an HND - that's equivalent to Year 2...

Hold on, are you at a Scottish university?
Reply 7
That's what I'm focusing on, I will deal with it when it happens but for now I'm working on getting as good a grade as possible in the exams so I have some form of cushion if I do manage to get 40% for the project. Thank you :smile:
Original post by Renaissance-Man
They will 100% make you pass. If you have good report presentation i.e. justified text, labelled figures, contents page etc. And you got some results for your project even if they are wrong and you have tried to write some sort of conclusion + discussion you will be fine honestly.

You'll pass, just DONT **** up the exams :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending