The Student Room Group

gap-year medical work advice

I am finishing with school and I am about to sit my exams - advanced higher in biology and chemistry as well as higher art, photography and psychology. I applied to study medicine this year but have been unsuccessful. This is something I really want to do so I am taking a year out and re-applying next year. I am hoping to find some work in some sort of hospital or health care setting but I am struggling to know where to start. I am willing to do any type of work, it would just be most beneficial to me to gain some more experience in, preferably, a hospital environment. Does anyone have any advice, or is going through the same thing, on what the best route to go down throughout my gap year is? I don't have any other qualifications than my 5A Higher's and whatever I get in my advanced highers/highers this year, so I am unsure as to what work would be available to me. Would be so grateful for any help at all!
Health care assistant work in a hospital or care home setting would teach you the basics of care, how to relate to people empathetically and compassionately, how to talk to their friends and families at what can be very emotional times in their lives, how to work as part of a multidisciplinary team and all sorts of other invaluable skills for a future doctor.
Thanks a lot, I will definitely look into that.. I also got a summer job working in a play scheme for children with special needs which will be very helpful with that (:
Original post by Ridgerunner
Health care assistant work in a hospital or care home setting would teach you the basics of care, how to relate to people empathetically and compassionately, how to talk to their friends and families at what can be very emotional times in their lives, how to work as part of a multidisciplinary team and all sorts of other invaluable skills for a future doctor.
That sounds good!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending