The Student Room Group

Politics or Economics for A level

So I am deciding whether to either do politics or economics for a level but can't decide between them. They would be as a fourth one- we have to start off with four in my school.

I am currently planning on doing English French and History with one of the two above.

I have heard that economics can be a bit boring and is oversimplified and Politics is very hard work. But I have an interest in both

Does anyone have any ideas on which one I should do? Thanks
Original post by MattW02
So I am deciding whether to either do politics or economics for a level but can't decide between them. They would be as a fourth one- we have to start off with four in my school.

I am currently planning on doing English French and History with one of the two above.

I have heard that economics can be a bit boring and is oversimplified and Politics is very hard work. But I have an interest in both

Does anyone have any ideas on which one I should do? Thanks

I did politics and a few of my friends did economics. I would say that politics without a doubt fits your other choices best, economics seems like a bit of an odd choice considering you aren't doing anything maths or science related. Personally I found politics pretty easy, so if you're good at writing essays and you already have a relatively good awareness of current affairs and you have some general knowledge about how the government works, it shouldn't be too difficult. Politics is good in that you can use your general knowledge about the news and stuff like that whereas in economics you'll (probably) be learning most stuff from scratch. I'd say if you're not a maths-y person then politics is a better choice. But I might be a bit biased
Reply 2
New spec Politics requires significantly more effort than the old spec and way more effort than Economics. (I do both). I think it depends on the person as to what you woulf find interesting. I found economics very interesting. I would suggest you do economics if you want a good grade or will drop it at AS. Economics is also an essay writing subject for AQA.

Quick Reply

Latest