The Student Room Group

Is being a mature student okay?

Hello guys, sorry for the vague title but I’m towards the end of year 12 and I think I want to study Geology at university. I’m currently taking Geography, Biology aaand the subject I thoroughly regret picking, fine art!

Now I don’t know if I should take an extra year just to study Chemistry because fine art has nothing to do with Geology! In the entry requirements it is nowhere to be seen!

If I drop Fine Art to take chemistry, I’ll have to stay an extra year in College and by the time I’ve completed my course, I’ll be 20. A mature student.

Now you’ll probably be wondering, so what if you’re a mature student? What difference does it make? Well I’m worrying if that will put me at a disadvantage when applying for universities. I’ll probably be having a hard time if I don’t because no one’s going to bat an eye at fine art! But then again if I do take an extra year, I’ll be against students younger than me who probably have even better grades than mine.. which is obviously normal and everyone will go through it but my guy, do I like to panic : )))

I never knew what to do with my life honestly, up until now I think? I was picking between architecture and law, two things I’m not so passionate about as much as anything else really, but I think Geology is it. I think I’ll enjoy it.

Should I take an extra year or not??
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
If you seriously hate art or if it makes a difference to the entry requirements; I think the extra year is the best idea. If not, it's up to you. Do you do A levels? Because I don't know of any a level courses that don't finish until you're 20
Reply 2
Original post by idk01
If you seriously hate art or if it makes a difference to the entry requirements; I think the extra year is the best idea. If not, it's up to you. Do you do A levels? Because I don't know of any a level courses that don't finish until you're 20

Yeah I’m taking A-levels. I’m 17 at the moment (will be 18 this September) and next year when I’ll complete my course (if I don’t take the extra year) I’ll be 19. If I do take the extra year, I’ll be 20.

** I made a mistake in the original post sorry, I’ll be 20 not 21. Fasting is getting to me : p
Original post by Riceee
Yeah I’m taking A-levels. I’m 17 at the moment (will be 18 this September) and next year when I’ll complete my course (if I don’t take the extra year) I’ll be 19. If I do take the extra year, I’ll be 20.

** I made a mistake in the original post sorry, I’ll be 20 not 21. Fasting is getting to me : p

That's not 'mature' - there were people at uni with me that were 30+.
Being 20 doesn't make you a mature student.... seriously, no-one at university will be bothered by your age.
Original post by Riceee
Hello guys, sorry for the vague title but I’m towards the end of year 12 and I think I want to study Geology at university. I’m currently taking Geography, Biology aaand the subject I thoroughly regret picking, fine art!

Now I don’t know if I should take an extra year just to study Chemistry because fine art has nothing to do with Geology! In the entry requirements it is nowhere to be seen!

If I drop Fine Art to take chemistry, I’ll have to stay an extra year in College and by the time I’ve completed my course, I’ll be 20. A mature student.

Now you’ll probably be wondering, so what if you’re a mature student? What difference does it make? Well I’m worrying if that will put me at a disadvantage when applying for universities. I’ll probably be having a hard time if I don’t because no one’s going to bat an eye at fine art! But then again if I do take an extra year, I’ll be against students younger than me who probably have even better grades than mine.. which is obviously normal and everyone will go through it but my guy, do I like to panic : )))

I never knew what to do with my life honestly, up until now I think? I was picking between architecture and law, two things I’m not so passionate about as much as anything else really, but I think Geology is it. I think I’ll enjoy it.

Should I take an extra year or not??

Hi there @Riceee

You've already had some excellent answers.

Check the course requirements for the Geology course you want to take. If it does not specify requiring chemistry and you do not want to wait a year by taking a different A-Level subject, then you can apply when you are ready. If the university requires a specific subject for entry that you do not have, then you would need to take the extra time.

As other people have said, age doesn't matter at university. I went as a mature student who was much older than 20 and was treated like everyone else.

Please feel free to message any other questions you may have and good luck!

Fiona :horse:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending