The Student Room Group

How much of the Psychology A-level is to do with mental health?

Original post by Lostx

Depends on the exam board. I did OCR and one of the topics we had to do was mental health, so a good chunk of it was that. Have a look at the specification for the exam board your school do so you can get a rough idea for the mental health content.
have only done AS content so far and only one topic is centred around mental helth - pyschopathology (depression, phobias and ocd). how come?
i do aqa btw
Basically, in paper 1, there's one section called 'psychopathology' which is all about abnormal behaviour, so you learn about OCD/depression/phobias - the rest of that paper is on memory, attachment theory and social influence; i.e. 25% of paper 1 is about mental health.
On paper 2 you do this unit called biopsychology which can link into bits of mental health (i.e. faulty brain structures can disrupt normal biological functioning), but it's not really specifically about mental health, but you can tie in examples to support.
For paper 3, your school/college actually get a choice and can select 3 of the topics, so the extent to which it is to do with mental depends on your teacher - for example, i do schizophrenia for one of my units, which ties into psychopathology nicely, but I think there's options to do eating behaviour and lots of other interesting stuff as well.
So yeah, there's a good chunk about mental health, but it's mainly research methods tbh, which can be quite boring and monotonous.
This is for AQA btw.
Hope it helped! :smile:
Original post by Lostx
Reply 5
Thank you, everyone, for your help.

Does this A-level combination seem okay? Are the subjects relatively easy?

Philosophy, History and Psychology.
Original post by Lostx

mans heard philosophy is ultra hard
Original post by Lostx

philosophy is hard apparently
psychology is fine but you need a good memory tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending