The Student Room Group

MA Eng Lit KCL vs York vs (Durham)

Hi there!

I am planning to study Englit taught MA in the coming year. Just received offers from KCL (Modern Literature and Culture) and York (English Literary Studies), but still waiting for Durham (English Literary Studies). I am from HK, so I want to know what you guys think!

I've studied at York for a while before and loved it. It also provides a flexible syllabus that allows me to study whatever I want.

The period of the programme at KCL starts from 19th century so I may not be able to study 18th century lit that I am also interested in (or can you choose courses from other English programmes once you get in?).

Durham also has a flexible programme (English Literary Studies) but I haven't received an offer.

York has always been my first choice (love my time there) but now I'm having second thought. In terms of international reputation, KCL and Durham are more famous than York. So I'm starting to worry whether I should pick KCL over York? (I looked up university rankings but they are not really trustworthy...)

Thanks so much for your help~
Ranking and fame mean little. Do the course which matches your academic interests best.
Original post by dsyyoung
Hi there!

I am planning to study Englit taught MA in the coming year. Just received offers from KCL (Modern Literature and Culture) and York (English Literary Studies), but still waiting for Durham (English Literary Studies). I am from HK, so I want to know what you guys think!

I've studied at York for a while before and loved it. It also provides a flexible syllabus that allows me to study whatever I want.

The period of the programme at KCL starts from 19th century so I may not be able to study 18th century lit that I am also interested in (or can you choose courses from other English programmes once you get in?).

Durham also has a flexible programme (English Literary Studies) but I haven't received an offer.

York has always been my first choice (love my time there) but now I'm having second thought. In terms of international reputation, KCL and Durham are more famous than York. So I'm starting to worry whether I should pick KCL over York? (I looked up university rankings but they are not really trustworthy...)

Thanks so much for your help~

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending