The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Hendrefoilan Student Village

I understand that the shop, wonky sheep and launderette along with numerous houses are being knocked down at the end of term. Currently the accommodation shows all these as open and 1100 student but there will be nowhere near that amount for the 2019/20 year. In the interests of not misleading people can someone from the university paint an accurate position of the following.

1. How many rooms will there be.
2. Will there be any facilities there and if so which ones.
3 Will there be a bus service between HSV and the campuses. If so, how regular. Will they go from the village or the bus stop opposite Olchfa school 10 minutes walk from the remaining school. Will they run all night as at present.
4 Where will the nearest laundry facilities be.
5 When are the university going to adjust the website to show the position for 2019/20 as people are making decisions now and they need to be aware of the actual position for 2019-20 not as 2018-19.

Scroll to see replies

Am interested in the answers to this post too as my son is planning to go to Swansea this September...
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
Oh wow, I only lived there 3 years ago. :frown:
Original post by swanseajack1
I understand that the shop, wonky sheep and launderette along with numerous houses are being knocked down at the end of term. Currently the accommodation shows all these as open and 1100 student but there will be nowhere near that amount for the 2019/20 year. In the interests of not misleading people can someone from the university paint an accurate position of the following.

1. How many rooms will there be.
2. Will there be any facilities there and if so which ones.
3 Will there be a bus service between HSV and the campuses. If so, how regular. Will they go from the village or the bus stop opposite Olchfa school 10 minutes walk from the remaining school. Will they run all night as at present.
4 Where will the nearest laundry facilities be.
5 When are the university going to adjust the website to show the position for 2019/20 as people are making decisions now and they need to be aware of the actual position for 2019-20 not as 2018-19.
The village has been knocked down in stages. The only part left from the new term will be the woodland area. All the rest is being or has been knocked down for private housing. It is very sad that nobody from the university has responded to this post and advised what facilities will be there next term. it reflects very poorly that whilst the official reps for Swansea university comment on other post they fail to inform what is going to be there for prospective students. What laundry facilities will be there or will residents be expected to their laundry to Singleton and what bus service will there be between the village and the campuses and where will that bus if any go from the village or opposite Olchfa School.
Original post by Themysticalegg
Oh wow, I only lived there 3 years ago. :frown:
Indeed I will get in contact with the university to see if they themselves know. In 2015 I was expected to move into Bay Campus from September but this got delayed until January because the project wasn't finished on time and it was a bit confusing and unexpected on arrival. I am shocked no information has been released on this as there is only 3 months till the start of University and prospective students need to make their decisions now. According to their website there will be 1034 rooms for the 2019/2020 academic year. @Swansea University Enquiries
The village has been knocked down in stages. The only part left from the new term will be the woodland area. All the rest is being or has been knocked down for private housing. It is very sad that nobody from the university has responded to this post and advised what facilities will be there next term. it reflects very poorly that whilst the official reps for Swansea university comment on other post they fail to inform what is going to be there for prospective students. What laundry facilities will be there or will residents be expected to their laundry to Singleton and what bus service will there be between the village and the campuses and where will that bus if any go from the village or opposite Olchfa School.
(edited 4 years ago)
That wont be the case. That is what is there currently before all the other are being knocked down. St Modwen are showing the next phase will be available in 2020 and includes knocked everything down and rebuilding. The university needs to let prospective students know what will be there. In particular laundry facilities and buses. If the launderette, wonky sheep and shop and the houses around them where is the bus going to be able to turn.
Indeed I will get in contact with the university to see if they themselves know. In 2015 I was expected to move into Bay Campus from September but this got delayed until January because the project wasn't finished on time and it was a bit confusing and unexpected on arrival. I am shocked no information has been released on this as there is only 3 months till the start of University and prospective students need to make their decisions now. According to their website there will be 1034 rooms for the 2019/2020 academic year. @Swansea University Enquiries
Hi all, and thanks for the tag @Themysticalegg,

I was aware of the thread not long after @swanseajack1 posted it. I'm waiting to hear back some answers from the residential services department to get back to you with some answers. I hope you can excuse the delay - I don't want to post any conjecture, so I'm just waiting for certified information before putting it out there in the wild!

Jamie
Hi,

As Jamie said best thing to do is wait for official information from the Uni themselves. I'd recommend visiting the all the accommodation available in Swansea as part of an Open Day as you'll get to see exactly where you want to live.

It also gives you a true idea of what the accommodation is really like to live in :smile: there's lots of different accommodation available so please don't panic!
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hi all, and thanks for the tag @Themysticalegg,

I was aware of the thread not long after @swanseajack1 posted it. I'm waiting to hear back some answers from the residential services department to get back to you with some answers. I hope you can excuse the delay - I don't want to post any conjecture, so I'm just waiting for certified information before putting it out there in the wild!

Jamie

When do you think you’ll hear?
Killay is a ten minute walk away, with its two co-ops a few hundred metres from each other (for some bizarre reason).

Found this for launderettes (dunno if it’s any use or still there, I don’t take much notice when driving through): https://killay.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/waterside-laundry-23667874.html
Oooo are you a Swansea alumni moonkatt? :biggrin: I'll be honest I never ventured towards Coop in Killay when I lived in HSV I went for the CK in Sketty about the same distance away in the other direction.
Original post by moonkatt
Killay is a ten minute walk away, with its two co-ops a few hundred metres from each other (for some bizarre reason).

Found this for launderettes (dunno if it’s any use or still there, I don’t take much notice when driving through): https://killay.cylex-uk.co.uk/company/waterside-laundry-23667874.html
Oooo are you a Swansea alumni moonkatt? :biggrin: I'll be honest I never ventured towards Coop in Killay when I lived in HSV I went for the CK in Sketty about the same distance away in the other direction.

No I’m an English expat here, I live in Sketty :smile:

I’m thinking about Swansea for a course for work though.
I'm an English expat also in Uplands but leaving soon. :biggrin: Sounds cool! I really enjoyed my time studying at Swansea University and would recommend it. :h: Which course if you don't mind me asking?
No I’m an English expat here, I live in Sketty :smile:

I’m thinking about Swansea for a course for work though.
I'm an English expat also in Uplands but leaving soon. :biggrin: Sounds cool! I really enjoyed my time studying at Swansea University and would recommend it. :h: Which course if you don't mind me asking?

You’re managing to escape “the graveyard of ambition” then.

I’m looking at an advanced practice masters, I’m a nurse. I’ve got a lot on at the moment though, so probably won’t start looking seriously until later on this year.
:lol::lol::lol: I've heard that phrase many times, but I think Swansea has strengths such as a growing tech startup industry and some professional service companies. The below is quite an exciting prospect with the creation of 200 jobs in Law and potentially more skilled work if the revised Tidal Lagoon plans break through. I did seriously consider a position at Tata in Port Talbot as I have really enjoyed living in Swansea but I opted for a move back to the South East of England as it's closer to most of my friends and family.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/200-jobs-promised-swansea-new-16350273
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-opinion/what-needs-happen-make-dragon-16342694

Ah you're a nurse cool! :biggrin: I wish you the best of luck. :smile:
You’re managing to escape “the graveyard of ambition” then.

I’m looking at an advanced practice masters, I’m a nurse. I’ve got a lot on at the moment though, so probably won’t start looking seriously until later on this year.
(edited 4 years ago)
The launderette in Killay is not your typical launderette. It is more a service place where they do ironing and things and will be far more expensive.

The launderette in Killay is not your typical launderette. It is more a service place where they do ironing and things and will be far more expensive.

Well it is Killay :tongue:

The only place I can think of is the one in Uplands then.
Uplands Launderette is lush. Uplands is such a trek from HSV. :laugh: At that point you're better off taking the bus to Bay, getting your laundry done there whilst in lecture/the library and coming back with it on the bus. But this requires the 8 to stay in existence. However, I do not believe HSV students are allowed to use the Bay launderette because you require a unique card to use those machines.
Well it is Killay :tongue:

The only place I can think of is the one in Uplands then.
uplands launderette on service 20 would probably be the best unless they turn one of the houses into a launderette in HSV. Killay is one of the nicer areas in Swansea and its precinct with 2 supermarkets, butchers, 2 bakers, pharmacy, chip shop and 3 pubs has largely been ignored by HSV students
Uplands Launderette is lush. Uplands is such a trek from HSV. :laugh: At that point you're better off taking the bus to Bay, getting your laundry done there whilst in lecture/the library and coming back with it on the bus. But this requires the 8 to stay in existence. However, I do not believe HSV students are allowed to use the Bay launderette because you require a unique card to use those machines. launderette
I just searched Killay Precinct it seems a hidden gem. No awareness is ever raised of the existence of Killay Precinct to HSV students. I went to Killay once because I was in desperate need for a car battery and it was the closest garage I could find. My mindset when exploring Swansea were based on ventures on the 20 towards Uplands and on places we spot on the number 8 going towards Singleton and Bay such as the CK and the square of shops in Sketty and the City Centre itself. I used to take the bus to Lidl/Tesco in the centre for shopping but if I knew Killay existed I may of opted for the walk there. I enjoyed the Wonky Sheep a lot. It was a good little pub suitable for the size of HSV and there was quite an atmosphere too so we never felt the need to venture to other pubs bar the ones in the city centre to meet some friends from Bay Campus or for nights out in general. However, the removal of the facilities at HSV without a replacement could lead to an influx of students towards Killay if more awareness is raised by the University.
uplands launderette on service 20 would probably be the best unless they turn one of the houses into a launderette in HSV. Killay is one of the nicer areas in Swansea and its precinct with 2 supermarkets, butchers, 2 bakers, pharmacy, chip shop and 3 pubs has largely been ignored by HSV students
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest