The Student Room Group

Drama is a practical subject and should be treated as such

Just sat my Drama GCSE written exam earlier today. It feels weird just...being finished with the whole course now. I feel like even though I've spent two years doing drama there's been surprisingly little acting involved.
So much of lessons has been focussed on writtten exam stuff or devising logs. The coursework didn't bother me so much because it made sense I suppose, but then again a professional actor most likely won't need many of these written skills? I know they want to test our understanding but I'd rather have had to write a script, do another log piece of coursework for the scripted performance we did, or have some kind of final exam that involves acting???
A mock audition, or putting on a small performance (where everything is arranged by the students themselves) would be a much better test as it takes into account our ability, as well as managing stage fright and working with other people which I'm assuming are vital skills in the industry.
Anyway. That's my little rant. Michael Gove can fight me, Drama isn't supposed to be so theory-heavy.
Original post by GhostMonument54
Just sat my Drama GCSE written exam earlier today. It feels weird just...being finished with the whole course now. I feel like even though I've spent two years doing drama there's been surprisingly little acting involved.
So much of lessons has been focussed on writtten exam stuff or devising logs. The coursework didn't bother me so much because it made sense I suppose, but then again a professional actor most likely won't need many of these written skills? I know they want to test our understanding but I'd rather have had to write a script, do another log piece of coursework for the scripted performance we did, or have some kind of final exam that involves acting???
A mock audition, or putting on a small performance (where everything is arranged by the students themselves) would be a much better test as it takes into account our ability, as well as managing stage fright and working with other people which I'm assuming are vital skills in the industry.
Anyway. That's my little rant. Michael Gove can fight me, Drama isn't supposed to be so theory-heavy.

I didn't do drama gcse but I agree because my friend was working on like a 40/50 slide powerpoint. I was kinda shocked. Same goes for art there's more writing then drawing
What exam board you with for drama?
Yh should be course work
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
I didn't do drama gcse but I agree because my friend was working on like a 40/50 slide powerpoint. I was kinda shocked. Same goes for art there's more writing then drawing

My friend does Art and I am...genuinely surprised that she survived it. It's ridiculous. I think the problem with the whole system atm is that they're trying to turn everything essay-style to make it all look high-brow and clever but it's just distracting from the actual mechanics of the subject - good acting is evident in the performance, good art skills are shown in the piece/ drafts etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending