The Student Room Group

How can you reject someone who's dying?

I don't like him like that, but this person is going through a really hard time and needs someone to be there for him. I suggested that I would always be there for him as a best friend but he got really upset, and he told one of our other friends that "of course I wouldn't want to go out with him cuz he's dying" He's got a terminal illness with not long left, I don't want to hurt him, is it best to say yes and go out with him, and if not, how do I say no without hurting him?
to be fair to you, it sounds like you were quite fair to him and he reacted childishly.

be nice about it, because a rejection is a rejection and you shouldn't want to hurt him, but you definitely shouldn't date him if you don't want to

say you don't want to and if he's not respectful of your decision, leave him alone
Reply 2
im so sorry accept my condolences
Original post by Anonymous
I don't like him like that, but this person is going through a really hard time and needs someone to be there for him. I suggested that I would always be there for him as a best friend but he got really upset, and he told one of our other friends that "of course I wouldn't want to go out with him cuz he's dying" He's got a terminal illness with not long left, I don't want to hurt him, is it best to say yes and go out with him, and if not, how do I say no without hurting him?

You shouldn't say anything more than what you have done - that you are there for him as a friend but are not looking to get into a relationship. It may not be what he wants to hear but it would be bad for your mental health to have to tell a big lie like that, and you shouldn't do it
Reply 4
But eh doesn't have long left, are you sure it wouldn't be best to just try and make the rest of his life happy? I'm gonna miss him so much and I feel like he thinks I don't really care about him
Original post by harrysbar
You shouldn't say anything more than what you have done - that you are there for him as a friend but are not looking to get into a relationship. It may not be what he wants to hear but it would be bad for your mental health to have to tell a big lie like that, and you shouldn't do it
Reply 5
I can't leave him alone, he's still my best friend! He's obviously under a lot of stress, and I feel like i'm just making it harder for him. He says he needs me and I'm not leaving him now
Original post by HoldThisL
to be fair to you, it sounds like you were quite fair to him and he reacted childishly.

be nice about it, because a rejection is a rejection and you shouldn't want to hurt him, but you definitely shouldn't date him if you don't want to

say you don't want to and if he's not respectful of your decision, leave him alone
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

Ok, you don't want to date him .. but the mans dying, at least consider offering him some pity sex

grant the man his dying wish

If he's a virgin ...then as a best friend it's almost like your duty seeing as he hasn't got long left....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending