The Student Room Group

Moving on

I struggle to move on in terms of rejection, every time i get rejected i really really struggle to move on upto a point where I feel like im never going to meet someone. How do I get over this? Ive currently been rejected by someone who I fancied for the past several months but told her when it was too late. Please help me
you struggle with rejection because you are not confident about yourself. be confident and love yourself first before putting yourself on the dating scene. this way if you get rejected, it will not bother you as much because you will know your worth.

but in life, not everyone is going to like you, and that's okay. you're not for everyone. no one is for everyone. there's different characters, likes, dislikes and interests. everyone is different. but one day you will find that special person who will like you just as much as you like them! <3
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
you struggle with rejection because you are not confident about yourself. be confident and love yourself first before putting yourself on the dating scene. this way if you get rejected, it will not bother you as much because you will know your worth.

but in life, not everyone is going to like you, and that's okay. you're not for everyone. no one is for everyone. there's different characters, likes, dislikes and interests. everyone is different. but one day you will find that special person who will like you just as much as you like them! <3

What shall I do next time I see this girl who turned me down? I know it sounds silly but I dont want to react in the wrong way or wine to her.
What shall I do next time I see this girl who turned me down? I know it sounds silly but I dont want to react in the wrong way or wine to her.

Just be cordial and polite, act normal, maybe smile. Act as if the rejection didn't bother you or affect you in any way.
Reply 4
Just be cordial and polite, act normal, maybe smile. Act as if the rejection didn't bother you or affect you in any way.

But it did bother me and affect me in every way I can think of - my confidence is at an all time low. As I say this now it sounds ridiculous but all I want to do is tell this girl how I feel about her without sounding desperate.
But it did bother me and affect me in every way I can think of - my confidence is at an all time low. As I say this now it sounds ridiculous but all I want to do is tell this girl how I feel about her without sounding desperate.

That moment has passed I'm afraid. Think of it from their POV, they've turned down your advances and then you continue to profess your feelings for them. It's very awkward and you're basically consigning any possibility of friendship to the bin at that point. Respect their wishes and see if you can salvage something from it.

I suspect you're falling into the trap of waiting too long to ask people out. You need to do it earlier so that people declining doesn't feel like a huge emotional setback. If you wait until after you've developed strong feelings it will inevitably feel like a breakup even though you were never in a romantic relationship. If you like someone it's fine to use the dating bit to work out if there's anything there. Don't wait until you are doting on someone.

You shouldn't be down on yourself just because someone didn't want to date you. There's lot's of reasons that might be the case and at the end of the day, they like you enough to be good friends for months. They obviously think you're a cool person.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
That moment has passed I'm afraid. Think of it from their POV, they've turned down your advances and then you continue to profess your feelings for them. It's very awkward and you're basically consigning any possibility of friendship to the bin at that point. Respect their wishes and see if you can salvage something from it.

I suspect you're falling into the trap of waiting too long to ask people out. You need to do it earlier so that people declining doesn't feel like a huge emotional setback. If you wait until after you've developed strong feelings it will inevitably feel like a breakup even though you were never in a romantic relationship. If you like someone it's fine to use the dating bit to work out if there's anything there. Don't wait until you are doting on someone.

You shouldn't be down on yourself just because someone didn't want to date you. There's lot's of reasons that might be the case and at the end of the day, they like you enough to be good friends for months. They obviously think you're a cool person.

Is there a way of telling her this without sounding completely pathetic?
Is there a way of telling her this without sounding completely pathetic?

Not really, no.

I'm presuming that you've ask them out and they've said no? If so, professing your feelings is a really, really bad idea.
Reply 8
Not really, no.

I'm presuming that you've ask them out and they've said no? If so, professing your feelings is a really, really bad idea.

No i never asked her out, just yold her im interested and would like to know her better.
No i never asked her out, just yold her im interested and would like to know her better.

In your first post you said you've been "rejected" by them. This means they did not positively to whatever approach you made, right?
Reply 10
In your first post you said you've been "rejected" by them. This means they did not positively to whatever approach you made, right?

Yes I said rejected because she said she is 'seeing someone' but that could mean so many things right? I think She reacted fairly positively as she started laughing in a cute awkward way and she said 'ill see you around'. Maybe it was her way of saying I dont know you well enough or keep trying? I dont really know
Yes I said rejected because she said she is 'seeing someone' but that could mean so many things right? I think She reacted fairly positively as she started laughing in a cute awkward way and she said 'ill see you around'. Maybe it was her way of saying I dont know you well enough or keep trying? I dont really know

You've received what I would consider a polite "no thanks". It's unambiguous to me because she didn't say "this is really awkward as I have feelings for you too, but I am seeing someone at the moment". She told you definitely that she is in a relationship. Everything else just strikes me as nerves/being polite. Very, very few people will be blunt enough to say "no, I have no romantic interest in you, I don't want to pursue that". They're your friend remember, of course they are going to let you down gently.

I think you're viewing this as "well that wasn't a outright, explicit rejection, so maybe I just need to be persistent!". If this was something she was interested in, she would have reacted differently.

The important thing now is to not make things weird and jeopardise the friendship. Take it on the chin as a minor setback, but act with emotional maturity and don't keep putting them on the spot when they've laid out their cards.
Reply 12
Firstly there’s a realisation that getting blown out is a normal part of dating for everyone. Avoid getting hung up someone over a long period if time if your intuition tells you it’s not on the cards. If you are rejected, it’s not to be, so just refocus on finding someone who is enthusiastic. Just hold your head high and treat her as a friendly acquaintance next time you see her. All easier said than done mind, but sound advise and it comes with experience
Reply 13
From my point of view I just feel like we had a thing for each other for so long and I was really struggling to find an opening to progress things so one morning when I saw her I just overwhelmed her and said the wrong things and was too forward that might have put her off - I just feel like there is still a chance to get with her. I just don't know!!!
Reply 14
I struggle to move on because my parents were divorced when I was younger.....my dad kicked me out of his life and therefore I struggle to let people go. I dont know how to get over it and I feel this is the main reason why I am so very bad at moving on.
Reply 15
I struggle to move on because my parents were divorced when I was younger.....my dad kicked me out of his life and therefore I struggle to let people go. I dont know how to get over it and I feel this is the main reason why I am so very bad at moving on.

Sounds traumatic, perhaps get some counselling to help work it through. Dating success and decent relationships do come along with tenacity and patience
Reply 16
Original post by Zarek
Sounds traumatic, perhaps get some counselling to help work it through. Dating success and decent relationships do come along with tenacity and patience

Ive tried therapy- same old ********. Prefer this tbh as people who reply do it in their own time with no agenda or incentive.
Reply 17
Some rejections hurt more than others and my most recent one was a big one - i feel like telling her that because of certain tradegies that happened in my life i cant lose people and I need her in my life as a friend. Is this the right thing to do?
Just be her friend. No need to guilt trip her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending