The Student Room Group

Did you exist before you were born ?

Do you exist before you are born, meaning in another world somewhere ?

Scroll to see replies

yes
Reply 2
Original post by OllyDaws
yes

where
Original post by Nalk1573
where

its a pretty dumb question no one knows duh
no
Original post by Nalk1573
where

in a womb
No I never existed before I was born.

The answer is in the question really.
Part of me wonders if that's why Deja-vu exists.
Reply 9
I think that it is quite impossible to answer this question, because the concept of existence is strictly connected to, and conditioned by, we, after-born people. How can we know if the concept of existence is working when applied outside our comprehension of reality? It is like a fish trying to understand the nature of fire, considering that he is not able to use concepts not depending from the idea of water. How could he understand the idea of fire by using categories entirely and exclusively based on, and connected to, water?
So, how can we understand the idea of existence by using categories that are entirely and exclusively based on the concept of existence itself?
I think that, facing this difficulty, we humans can only give up and admit our limits, if we consider the problem in this perspective.
my belief: no

your 'existence' is based on what you are in your exact form, your memories, how people see and interpret you and what you say.

even if you believe in reincarnation, each 'life' is new and therefore I can't really see how existence can be transferred.
Original post by MidgetFever
Part of me wonders if that's why Deja-vu exists.

You are obviously unaware of this:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2101089-mystery-of-deja-vu-explained-its-how-we-check-our-memories/
doubt it, I don't remember it.

Obviously so.

Interesting read though, thank you. :h:
No, but I am just another part of the universe, which has existed as long as anything we can know of has existed.
Bit of a difficult thing to answer when I can't remember much of what I did before I was aged 4. Same reason I hate people saying "death is just like before you were born", like yeah great mate but I can't really remember any feeling other than being alive.
Who knows
What exactly is the 'you' that exists? I'm prone to think the identity of the self is a complex construct of processes in the brain. I certainly don't think there is some 'nugget' that is 'beingness'.
I hate click bait 😱
i remember munching on my moms umbilical cord

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending