The Student Room Group

st Andrews, Southampton or Edinburgh for CS?

Hello everyone, I am thinking of studying computer science at university and I have thought of these 3 unis. I am quite interested in an engineering and the software engineering that Southampton offers seems to be very good. I wouldn´t mind doing just CS. What uni do you think is better?(I am Spanish)
Reply 1
All of them are top universities. I would choose the course with the content that appeals to you the most.
Original post by someone22
Hello everyone, I am thinking of studying computer science at university and I have thought of these 3 unis. I am quite interested in an engineering and the software engineering that Southampton offers seems to be very good. I wouldn´t mind doing just CS. What uni do you think is better?(I am Spanish)

As a European student, your university fees would be much cheaper in Scotland, right?

I'd recommend going to either St Andrews or Edinburgh. They're both fantastic universities. Do you prefer one of the courses? Also, would you rather live in a medium-sized city with a lot of things to do (Edinburgh), or in a very small town (St Andrews)?
Reply 3
Yeah, fees are cheaper in Scotland but that is not a problem right now. I am more worried about which university may be better for me. The thing I like about Southampton is the fact that they have Software Engineering, a course in which I am quite interested, but st Andrews and Edinburgh don´t offer that. But I wouldn´t mind doing just CS in case Southampton is much worse than st Andrews or Edinburgh. I am also quite worried about understanding Scottish people. My English friends have told me that is quite hard to understand them.
Original post by Quick-use
As a European student, your university fees would be much cheaper in Scotland, right?

I'd recommend going to either St Andrews or Edinburgh. They're both fantastic universities. Do you prefer one of the courses? Also, would you rather live in a medium-sized city with a lot of things to do (Edinburgh), or in a very small town (St Andrews)?
@Blue_Cow does CS (or I think specifically Informatics, which is their flagship course in the department) at Edinburgh, and might be able to give some insight into their course also on Scottish accents maybe :tongue: (although I think a significant number of students at Edinburgh aren't Scottish anyway due to the quotas they have for Scots students, and the Edinburgh accent as I recall is a lot more "mild" than e.g. the Glaswegian accent, although obviously the Scottish students may be drawn from across the country, but I think shopkeepers and so on should be fairly understandable).

As far as I'm aware though, there are quotas on EU students at Scottish universities due to the free/low fees, so it may be considerably more competitive applying to those as an EU student. I'm not 100% certain on that though, but it would probably sensible to apply to a mix of Scottish and rest-of-UK universities if you can afford the latter to maximise your chances of getting at least two offers.

However my understanding is Southampton is very well regarded for CS in the UK, although I don't know how this translates statistically into e.g. grad employability etc (I'd suggest comparing the courses on UNISTATS for that, although always consider the statistics in context). So it's certainly a good non-Scottish option to be considering.
Yeah, fees are cheaper in Scotland but that is not a problem right now. I am more worried about which university may be better for me. The thing I like about Southampton is the fact that they have Software Engineering, a course in which I am quite interested, but st Andrews and Edinburgh don´t offer that. But I wouldn´t mind doing just CS in case Southampton is much worse than st Andrews or Edinburgh. I am also quite worried about understanding Scottish people. My English friends have told me that is quite hard to understand them.

I highly doubt you would struggle to understand the Edinburgh accent. I'm from Edinburgh and my accent is probably one of the easiest to understand in the UK. Regarding St Andrews, many privately educated students from Scotland go there and their accents would be easy to understand as well. :smile:

I'd say you should pick the university depending on:

Price (can you afford it?)

Do you like the course?

Can you imagine yourself living there? I don't know about Southampton, but Edinburgh and St Andrews are extremely different.

Student satisfaction / opportunities after graduating etc.

(edited 4 years ago)

If software engineering is where your heart is, do not choose a theoretical course at places such as Edinburgh or St Andrews.

There are better universities out there for students looking for a more applied/hands-on experience rather than doing the hard mathematics grind.

...if you do want to come up to Scotland anyway, you won't have an issue understanding the accent. Your English friends are just taking the mickey out of Scottish people :rofl:
Reply 7
Thank you very much!! The thing is that those unis don´t offer software engineering and Southampton does.Anyway, I think I will apply to all of them in case Southampton doesn´t make me an offer because Southampton entry requirements for software engineering are higher than the ones of st Andrews for Cs.
Original post by artful_lounger
@Blue_Cow does CS (or I think specifically Informatics, which is their flagship course in the department) at Edinburgh, and might be able to give some insight into their course also on Scottish accents maybe :tongue: (although I think a significant number of students at Edinburgh aren't Scottish anyway due to the quotas they have for Scots students, and the Edinburgh accent as I recall is a lot more "mild" than e.g. the Glaswegian accent, although obviously the Scottish students may be drawn from across the country, but I think shopkeepers and so on should be fairly understandable).

As far as I'm aware though, there are quotas on EU students at Scottish universities due to the free/low fees, so it may be considerably more competitive applying to those as an EU student. I'm not 100% certain on that though, but it would probably sensible to apply to a mix of Scottish and rest-of-UK universities if you can afford the latter to maximise your chances of getting at least two offers.

However my understanding is Southampton is very well regarded for CS in the UK, although I don't know how this translates statistically into e.g. grad employability etc (I'd suggest comparing the courses on UNISTATS for that, although always consider the statistics in context). So it's certainly a good non-Scottish option to be considering.
Reply 8
Thank you very much. Southampton meets all that criteria(especially the course, that is the one I most like), so I think it will be my firm choice.Anyway, I will apply to st Andrews and Edinburgh in case I don´t get an offer from Southampton(entry requirements are pretty high for software engineering)
Original post by Quick-use
I highly doubt you would struggle to understand the Edinburgh accent. I'm from Edinburgh and my accent is probably one of the easiest to understand in the UK. Regarding St Andrews, many privately educated students from Scotland go there and their accents would be easy to understand as well. :smile:

I'd say you should pick the university depending on:

Price (can you afford it?)

Do you like the course?

Can you imagine yourself living there? I don't know about Southampton, but Edinburgh and St Andrews are extremely different.

Student satisfaction / opportunities after graduating etc.

Reply 9
What is the main difference you would say between software engineering and Cs itself? I like software engineering for the fact they teach you more programming, how to design and program softwares(I would be very interested in working in something related with software design/programming) and all that stuff. Apart from all of that, engineers are very well seen in Spain:colondollar:
Original post by Blue_Cow
If software engineering is where your heart is, do not choose a theoretical course at places such as Edinburgh or St Andrews.

There are better universities out there for students looking for a more applied/hands-on experience rather than doing the hard mathematics grind.

...if you do want to come up to Scotland anyway, you won't have an issue understanding the accent. Your English friends are just taking the mickey out of Scottish people :rofl:
What is the main difference you would say between software engineering and Cs itself? I like software engineering for the fact they teach you more programming, how to design and program softwares(I would be very interested in working in something related with software design/programming) and all that stuff. Apart from all of that, engineers are very well seen in Spain:colondollar:

Software engineering is more applied.

Computer Science in its purest form is mathematics. You will not do much actual programming if you go to a university that focuses on actual Computer Science i.e. the top universities.
Reply 11
So definitely I think my course is software engineering. I would like to learn how to program, to know more practical stuff that at the end is the useful bit... All about the computers if possible. You mentioned that top unis only offer Cs but I saw that Imperial College offers software engineering aswell, the thing is that imperial requires A*A*A for software engineering while for computer science they are happy with A*AA, and I don´t know why. In Southampton they ask you to get A*AA that is also pretty hard... but I see it possible.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Software engineering is more applied.

Computer Science in its purest form is mathematics. You will not do much actual programming if you go to a university that focuses on actual Computer Science i.e. the top universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending