The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ANM775
unless one or both of them admit to the police sex took place then he ain't going to do any prison time.

UK system is different to the American system where a mere accusation is enough

there were nudes involved
It depends on what evidence the police manage to find and all the factors involved. If they can prove that he had sex with her, then it is possible that he gets put on the sex offenders list. However, that will be unlikely if both parties deny allegations and give the same statements. The nudes are the issue because she is a minor. However, it will depend on the context. If they check his messages for example and he didn't instigate, and it's just her sending nudes across messenger, then they will judge that differently to say him asking her and then keeping possession of them. He could get anywhere from detention to a couple of months/1-2+ years in prison.

On another note, the parents consent is another thing altogether. I can't imagine that they'll be pleased if they found out that happened.
Original post by Alidator
what sentence do you think he will get?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
unless one or both of them admit to the police sex took place then he ain't going to do any prison time.

UK system is different to the American system where a mere accusation is enough

You're completely and utterly wrong.

OP implied the police knew nudes had been exchanged. This a crime under the Protection of Children Act 1978 or Criminal Justice act 1998.

All indecent possession has a maximum statutory sentence of 5 years, however all this falls to the CPS who decides if they want to press charges.
jesus christ, answer the question and provide actual useful guidance or gtfo

I did already, and you replied to it. You do know your friend is effectively a child predator right?
Original post by Den987
It depends on what evidence the police manage to find and all the factors involved. If they can prove that he had sex with her, then it is possible that he gets put on the sex offenders list. However, that will be unlikely if both parties deny allegations and give the same statements. The nudes are the issue because she is a minor. However, it will depend on the context. If they check his messages for example and he didn't instigate, and it's just her sending nudes across messenger, then they will judge that differently to say him asking her and then keeping possession of them. He could get anywhere from detention to a couple of months/1-2 years in prison.

On another note, the parents consent is another thing altogether. I can't imagine that they'll be pleased if they found out that happened.

yeah, thanks. it's not my place to get involved. and judge them
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
I did already, and you replied to it. You do know your friend is effectively a child predator right?

ok, that's your.opinon
ok, that's your.opinon

No, it's a fact. I work for the police, I have seen more than one of these cases. He is in a position of authority and responsibility being a legal adult, an underage girl has sent him illicit photographs. I very much doubt she just randomly sent them to him, and you also say that he knew her age. Therefore, he groomed her, the jury will not view him favourably IMO. Also, his parents could be implicated as they knew this was going on and did nothing about it.
Well then you should knock him spark out. Unless your a paedophile also
No, it's a fact. I work for the police, I have seen more than one of these cases. He is in a position of authority and responsibility being a legal adult, an underage girl has sent him illicit photographs. I very much doubt she just randomly sent them to him, and you also say that he knew her age. Therefore, he groomed her, the jury will not view him favourably IMO. Also, his parents could be implicated as they knew this was going on and did nothing about it.

well what your implying that, he forced her to send the nude. which I highly doubt is the case. she sent them to him. also theres the fact that they have been dating .
Reply 49
there were nudes involved

You're completely and utterly wrong.

OP implied the police knew nudes had been exchanged. This a crime under the Protection of Children Act 1978 or Criminal Justice act 1998.

All indecent possession has a maximum statutory sentence of 5 years, however all this falls to the CPS who decides if they want to press charges.

I read the OP quickly [must of missed that part]

but yeah if there are nudes then tbh both of them will probably be charged with something.

Still though I doubt he'll go to prison over it. I mean most pedophiles in this country do not even get prison for a first offence when they get busted and hundreds of abuse photo's of young kids are found on their PC's unless they are REALLY bad..

also, u say u work for the polic. so you do know that some crimes which cause more harm than actual crimes but are not seen as crimes.

plus, calling him a child predator is way of proportion. he is a regular guy who just made a mistake. there a difference between people like him and actual peadofiles and u should maybe try and understand
well what your implying that, he forced her to send the nude. which I highly doubt is the case. she sent them to him. also theres the fact that they have been dating .

It doesn't matter if it's forced or not, there was a two way exchange that resulted in her sending pictures. In most child grooming cases, the pictures or videos or meeting are not forced, It's a result of a built trust between an adult and a child resulting in sexual photos. The fact they have been dating and the parents knew makes it even worse, because that shows a lack of remorse and responsibility, which is something that will weigh in on the judgment of the case.
It doesn't matter if it's forced or not, there was a two way exchange that resulted in her sending pictures. In most child grooming cases, the pictures or videos or meeting are not forced, It's a result of a built trust between an adult and a child resulting in sexual photos. The fact they have been dating and the parents knew makes it even worse, because that shows a lack of remorse and responsibility, which is something that will weigh in on the judgment of the case.

yeah, but they way u state things, u should be more considerate to a person situation, if u actually are an officer. I'm looking to applying. as I just finished my criminology degree.
plus, calling him a child predator is way of proportion. he is a regular guy who just made a mistake. there a difference between people like him and actual peadofiles and u should maybe try and understand mr "officer"

You do know what the definition of a peadophile is right?

Anyone who develops a primary sexual interest in a child. Legally she is a child.

I really don't think you get the gravity of your friends offence?
yeah, but they way u state things, u should be more considerate to a person situation, if u actually are an officer. I'm looking to applying. as I just finished my criminology degree.

I'm not talking to either the victim or perpetrator. If I sound incredulous it's because Im trying to work out why you are defending your friends actions.
You do know what the definition of a peadophile is right?

Anyone who develops a primary sexual interest in a child. Legally she is a child.

I really don't think you get the gravity of your friends offence?

yes I do, but I'm just stating an view that people have of a paephile, and he is not the general archetype of one
I very rarely if never agree with police officers but in this case copper is right. It's called grooming.
I'm not talking to either the victim or perpetrator. If I sound incredulous it's because Im trying to work out why you are defending your friends actions.
plus, calling him a child predator is way of proportion. he is a regular guy who just made a mistake. there a difference between people like him and actual peadofiles and u should maybe try and understand mr "officer"

I know he’s your friend but he has literally dated and exchanged sexual pictures with a child. You need to recognise that is wrong and he is a pedophile (someone who is attracted to a child under the age of consent, which he is)

I'm not defending him, it's just that labelling some1 a child predator or paedophile have greater consequences than the actual sentence. and that in my opinion is wrong. yes he made a mistake. but does he got out of his way to target young girls no? it just happened

Latest

Trending

Trending