The Student Room Group

[Exam Cram] Ask OCR all of your Geography A-level and GCSE questions

It's Exam Cram 2019!

This half term we have an amazing offer for you all currently working through your exam season. Ask your exam board the questions you need to make that final push through your revision. That's right, this half term we are offering you the chance to talk to your exam board and get the help you need this half term on TSR. This thread is for the 30th of May 2019 or in other words.......

Geography Day!!!!!!!

Post below your questions and OCR will reply! Ask about specific issues you are having with your revision, topics that you are struggling with or anything about the exams and the exam format themselves! Unfortunately there are some rules so we can make this thread work for everyone

1.) No asking what is in the up and coming exam, the exam board won't answer no matter how desperate you are!

2.) No asking for low boundaries! This isn't up to how the examiners are feeling on that day. Questions around grade boundaries are fine though

3.) Keep it civil !

You can start getting your questions in now and OCR will be come through and answer them Good luck for the rest of your exams guys!

Scroll to see replies

1) For the 3rd paper (A level), can we get marked on our essay plan if we dont have time to finish the essay?
2) How long do you recommend we spend planning and writing each essay?
(A-level) For Paper 2, is there always just 1 question on Power and Borders or is it possible that there may be more questions?
Hi
Thank you for your question, I hope your revision is going well. You can potentially be credited for information on your exam paper, if you find you are running out of time when answering a question then I would suggest you write some key points. The examiner can then read it and think about whether they can awards marks and this is really helped if the points clearly answer an aspect of the question. Having been a teacher myself, student essay plans varied in complexity and depth and are there to help you think about how you might want to structure a larger more extended piece of writing. The Examiners will most likely be looking at your essay as this is what they are essentially marking, for the A level essays it is important to think about the development of your points, arguments and the evidence you provide to back them up (examples / case studies).

The 33 mark essays are divided between AO1 (9 marks) and AO2 (24 marks). If you were running out of time then it might be that you could gain marks for example for AO1 which is knowledge and understanding if your points were brief towards the end of an essay. For AO2 this is a little more complex as it is about applying your knowledge and understanding, this is more about how you pull the title apart, think about your key arguments, include case studies / examples and come to a view. So there will hopefully be analysis and evaluation in your answer. This might help in terms of thinking about evaluative language you could use e.g. however, despite, whereas, on the other hand, although, therefore, overall.

In terms of timing for the 33 mark questions, if you have practiced these in school / college then hopefully your teacher has shared how you can potentially approach the whole exam paper including timings. I would suggest that your plan is done as quickly as possible so that you have time to develop your points / arguments when you are writing. We know that students tackle the Paper 3 in different orders, some students start with the essays whilst others start with Section A and work through to the essays. We don't have expectations as an exam board in terms of the timings with different questions as students vary according to academic ability and where they want to focus their energy and timings in the exams. As a former teacher I would suggest that at least 45 minutes per essay would give you time to write a quick plan and crack on with the essay.

The very best of luck with your exams

Shelley - OCR Geography

Original post by blackvoid17
1) For the 3rd paper (A level), can we get marked on our essay plan if we dont have time to finish the essay?
2) How long do you recommend we spend planning and writing each essay?
Hi

Thank you for your question. The Power and Borders topic is assessed in the Human Interactions Paper. This topic can be assessed either though one question, as you have suggested an essay or through what we call structured questions (more than one question). Within the Human Interactions paper (02) - Options A or B could be assessed in either a number of structured questions or an essay question, and Options C or D could be assessed in either an essay question or a number of structured questions.

In the Human Interactions paper, the questions could be switched around so that Trade and Migration have the 16 mark questions and Human Rights and Power and Borders have the structured questions. This is so that we can assess the full range of content in these options. The structured questions could vary in tariff over time however the section totals and total marks for the paper cannot change so there will only be a little bit of variation.

On the A level Geography page (https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-and-a-level/geography-h081-h481-from-2016/) you can find examples of Paper 2 where you can see the way in which the Power and Borders questions can vary between essays or structured questions. e.g. The Sample Assessment Materials and the summer series (2018), these give essay examples and the Practice Paper shows you the structured questions e.g.

Practice Paper (H481/02) Option D Power and borders
5 (a) Study Fig. 4, the share of global military expenditure by country, 2015. Military expenditure is
one measure of the power of a state.
(i) Suggest one advantage and one disadvantage of the data presentation technique in
Fig. 4 for showing the share of global military expenditure. [4]
(ii) Outline two political factors that might account for the variations shown in Fig. 4. [2]
(iii) Explain one economic factor that might account for the high percentage shares of military
expenditure shown in Fig. 4. [3]
(b) With reference to a case study of one country, explain the challenges to its state sovereignty.[8]

Good luck with your exams
Shelley - OCR Geography

Original post by Scott Barker
(A-level) For Paper 2, is there always just 1 question on Power and Borders or is it possible that there may be more questions?
Thanks Shelly!
Also, I have been using the OCR textbook for my notes on paper 2 which has been helpful. But, when I've been answering 16 mark questions on the migration and power and borders topics, I've only been achieving around 8 marks. My teacher says I need to include more facts but only have knowledge from the text book (as that is what my teacher teaches from). Are there any other resources available that provide facts about these things? Or, is the information in the textbook enough to achieve high marks if the content I use is relevant to the question?
this is an odd question. however, in my school the exam board for geography is WJEC/eduqas however for our mocks we got a paper that was from OCR.
is your papers significantly different from WJEC/eduqas or very similar so it isn't something I should worry about?
because personally I believe that even though I did quite well for my mocks, it isn't a true representation of how I will do with another exam board.
is one easier than the other? should I be worried for my upcoming exams?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
It's Exam Cram 2019!

This half term we have an amazing offer for you all currently working through your exam season. Ask your exam board the questions you need to make that final push through your revision. That's right, this half term we are offering you the chance to talk to your exam board and get the help you need this half term on TSR. This thread is for the 30th of May 2019 or in other words.......

Geography Day!!!!!!!

Post below your questions and OCR will reply! Ask about specific issues you are having with your revision, topics that you are struggling with or anything about the exams and the exam format themselves! Unfortunately there are some rules so we can make this thread work for everyone

1.) No asking what is in the up and coming exam, the exam board won't answer no matter how desperate you are!

2.) No asking for low boundaries! This isn't up to how the examiners are feeling on that day. Questions around grade boundaries are fine though

3.) Keep it civil !

You can start getting your questions in now and OCR will be come through and answer them Good luck for the rest of your exams guys!
Hi
You can of course revise from the textbook and you will be credited for this in the exam if you answer relevantly. As your teacher has suggested that you need more facts then it might be helpful to read a little more widely based on the information you have. So this could be examples your teacher has used or the case studies in the textbook. I would urge a little caution as you don't want to overwhelm yourself with new information to learn at this stage. Learn what you already have well and if you want to look further at any examples / case studies then online sources which could be helpful are:
https://www.rgs.org/schools/teaching-resources/
https://www.geography.org.uk/teaching-resources/Secondary-and-post-16-resources

I used to encourage my students to look at newspaper articles as these can be super for understanding the complexities of topics such as Power and Borders. You could look at The BBC, Guardian, Independent, Al Jazeera or The Economist.

Good luck with your revision
Shelley - OCR geography

Thanks Shelly!
Also, I have been using the OCR textbook for my notes on paper 2 which has been helpful. But, when I've been answering 16 mark questions on the migration and power and borders topics, I've only been achieving around 8 marks. My teacher says I need to include more facts but only have knowledge from the text book (as that is what my teacher teaches from). Are there any other resources available that provide facts about these things? Or, is the information in the textbook enough to achieve high marks if the content I use is relevant to the question?
Hi
Thank you for your question. Please don't worry and its not an odd question. There will be a number of similarities and differences between the exam boards papers and styles of questions. However there is alot of overlap in the topic areas and so the questions will help you to revise. All exam boards have to set question papers to assess students at the same standard so one cannot be easier or harder than another.
It sounds to me like it was good practice and its great that you did well in your mocks, I hope this gives you confidence as you revise and prepare for the forthcoming exams.

Good luck
Shelley - OCR geography
Original post by help_me_learn
this is an odd question. however, in my school the exam board for geography is WJEC/eduqas however for our mocks we got a paper that was from OCR.
is your papers significantly different from WJEC/eduqas or very similar so it isn't something I should worry about?
because personally I believe that even though I did quite well for my mocks, it isn't a true representation of how I will do with another exam board.
is one easier than the other? should I be worried for my upcoming exams?
Hi, how much demand is there on the ability to recall facts and figures for case study questions (GCSE)?
How many SPAG marks are awarded for the 16 mark & 33 mark questions?
thank u
Original post by OCR Exam Board
Hi
Thank you for your question. Please don't worry and its not an odd question. There will be a number of similarities and differences between the exam boards papers and styles of questions. However there is alot of overlap in the topic areas and so the questions will help you to revise. All exam boards have to set question papers to assess students at the same standard so one cannot be easier or harder than another.
It sounds to me like it was good practice and its great that you did well in your mocks, I hope this gives you confidence as you revise and prepare for the forthcoming exams.

Good luck
Shelley - OCR geography
Hi

Thank you for your question. For the GCSE case study questions, there are always marks for what we call AO1, this is knowledge. Within the levels in the mark scheme there will be reference to place specific detail, this is where you need to write about a case study / case studies. I used to tell my students that if I could put my finger over the place name they have included and work out where they were talking about from the facts and figures they had included that was great and would demonstrate knowledge. You do not need to learn excessive facts and figures for your case studies but have a selection of key pieces of information that can be used with different types of questions.

I am not sure if you are doing GCSE A or GCSE B but there are case studies listed in the specification and the exams can refer to any of these listed case studies. For GCSE A there are 10 case studies and for GCSE B there are 12. I would suggest that you know these the best you can. Your teacher may have taught you other examples to bring some of the geography topic content 'to life' these are important too as you can use them to back up points you make in the exams however you would not get place specific detail marks for these. So, dont get over whelmed by having to learn lots of case studies / examples in lots of detail.

Good luck with your revision and exams
Shelley - OCR geography
Original post by Aryan3031
Hi, how much demand is there on the ability to recall facts and figures for case study questions (GCSE)?
Hi

Thank you for your question. There are no SPAG marks at A Level, this is different to GCSE Geography. Within the level marking criteria for the essay questions you have asked about there is wording which reflects the use of terminology and the quality of the written work (we called it quality of extended response). Within the marking criteria it includes phrasing:
For the comprehensive level (top level) it says:
- Knowledge and Understanding (Assessment Objective - AO1) e.g. Precision in the use of question terminology
- There is a well-developed line of reasoning which is clear and logically structured. The information presented is relevant and substantiated. (Quality of extended response).

Although there are no marks attached to above two points (like there would be for SPAG), examiners use the phrasing (which is part of the level marking criteria) to help them decide on the level to award a student and where about's in the level the student's answer should be credited. If you have a look at the mark schemes on the A level geography pages you will see the wording I mean for the 16 and 33 mark questions within the levels: https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-and-a-level/geography-h081-h481-from-2016/assessment/

Kind regards
Shelley - OCR geography
How many SPAG marks are awarded for the 16 mark & 33 mark questions?
Hi - for 12 markers for H481 paper 3 - most of my year in the mocks didnt score well - any tips/ technique youd adopt for such a question that can have such a broad range of answers
Hiya - for paper 3. Does it matter if you only use 1 case study or is it better to use more for the 33 markers? Thank you :smile:
Hi

Thank you for your question. The 12 mark questions in paper 3 are the synoptic questions. This means they are linking two topics together through the question, one of which will always be the Geographical Debate topic. These questions assess your knowledge and understanding (Assessment Objective - AO1), of the two topics within the question. This will be all the information you include about each topic within the question, think about examples as evidence to back up your points.

The questions also require you to analyse through applying your knowledge and understanding (Assessment Objective - AO2). This is where you can show the synoptic links in your answer, for example if the question was 'Examine how far disease risks can impact place profiles' (June 2018) what you are analysing is how the disease risk can impact place, giving some indication about 'how far' this happens. For example - If an area has a higher disease risk e.g. HIV in a Kenyan village then it could impact on those having families, where parents contract AIDs. The place profile will be affected as there will be a higher proportion of children and they will be cared for by the grand parents. The villages will also lose people of working age so the socio-economic characteristics change.

To help you prepare for these questions, do have a look at the candidate exemplars from summer 2018, these have examiners commentaries included: https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/469204-candidate-style-answers.pdf

I would suggest that you practice these style of questions, think about including relevant topic information but most importantly work out the links between the two topics from the wording of the question. The mark schemes for the Sample Assessment Material and the June 2018 paper 3 are available online: https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-and-a-level/geography-h081-h481-from-2016/assessment/

If you look at the right hand 'guidance' column of the mark scheme it gives you ideas about what you can write about (AO1 - knowledge and understanding) and how you can 'twist' (analyse) the information about the topics to show the synoptic links (AO2 - application of knowledge and understanding). Why don't you write out the mark scheme in your own words with your own examples from what your teacher has taught and I am sure this will help your understanding of what is required in these answers.

Shelley - OCR Geography
Original post by cgj300399
Hi - for 12 markers for H481 paper 3 - most of my year in the mocks didnt score well - any tips/ technique youd adopt for such a question that can have such a broad range of answers
Hi, how much are we expected to write for GCSE 12+3 markers?
Hi

Thank you for your question about the 33 mark questions in the Geographical Debates paper. I used to be a geography teacher and I would advise my students to use more than one case study in essays. I think your question is interesting as there are different ways to use case studies. You could write about one (or more) in depth to answer specific aspects of the exam question. You could also use case studies and examples throughout your essay when you make a point, you could use them as evidence which means you may write about them more briefly.

Within the 33 mark questions there are 9 marks for AO1 which is knowledge and understanding, however 24 marks are for AO2 which is application of knowledge and understanding, this is where you need to analyse and evaluate and come to a judgement - relevant to the question. It is helpful is to think about what the exam question is asking for, you will likely need to explore contrasting arguments / different points of view and case studies / examples can help as evidence for these.

I have used the term case study and example to separate out the idea that an example is still place specific (like a case study) that a teacher may have given you to elaborate on a point in the specification, however, these may be much more brief. The specification includes case studies which are important to learn as they could be examined. You do not need to learn case studies and examples to the same level of detail but its good to have a small number per topic so that you have evidence to draw on when you make your points / arguments in essays.

If you would like to see how candidates have used case studies / examples in their paper 3 essays do have a look at the exemplars online, these also have examiner commentary: https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/469204-candidate-style-answers.pdf I am sure your teacher will have examples to share with you from last summer so that you can see how different students have approached essays and used case studies.

Shelley - OCR geography

Original post by Tobstar0999
Hiya - for paper 3. Does it matter if you only use 1 case study or is it better to use more for the 33 markers? Thank you :smile:
Reply 19
I do OCR A GCSE. For the 12 marker (or 15 if you count SPaG marks), do you need to write a conclusion at the end?

How much detail do you need to know the case studies in? How many relevant facts would you recommend putting into a case study answer in order to secure high marks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending