The Student Room Group
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

Edge Hill Geography PGCE

Hi, I have an interview at Edge Hill university for the PGCE Geography course. My degree is related to an extent (History, so a humanities subject), but obviously missing the scientific and physical side. I am also a touch on the older-side, so have been out of education for probably longer than most applicants. Does anyone have any tips on the interview process? Obviously a lot of this was covered in my personal statement so I don't think that they're completely turned off by my age and degree. I was wondering if anyone applied with any success in a similar situation?
Thanks in advance!
Original post by allyo2002
Hi, I have an interview at Edge Hill university for the PGCE Geography course. My degree is related to an extent (History, so a humanities subject), but obviously missing the scientific and physical side. I am also a touch on the older-side, so have been out of education for probably longer than most applicants. Does anyone have any tips on the interview process? Obviously a lot of this was covered in my personal statement so I don't think that they're completely turned off by my age and degree. I was wondering if anyone applied with any success in a similar situation?
Thanks in advance!

Hi, hope you're well!

The first thing I'll say is that age is absolutely not a detriment. We have plenty of mature students at Edge Hill, all from a range of different backgrounds. We're always impressed by their dedication to their studies, often while balancing jobs or family commitments. You'll absolutely fit in at Edge Hill, not just with mature students but with other PGCE students in general!

Here's a few tips from us for your interview:

-You may feel nervous during your interview, and that's natural. Focus on your posture by sitting up straight and focus your eyes on the interviewer. This gives a sense of confidence without needing to over-exaggerate in any way. Also, our interviews are typically more relaxed - it's a way for us to get to know you.
-Before your interview, think about a few examples of prior experience you can refer to. This doesn't even need to be teaching-related. For instance, if you've ever led a team or project, it's an example of leading a group and taking charge. This can be applied to teaching, too.
-Research both the course and the University. Specifically, you'll want to look at the modules, the course in depth, and some general knowledge about the University. It helps us to know what attracted you to our course.
-Consider what's happening in the teaching sector. Referring to current events shows a knowledge of the sector you hope to enter, and can support your interview answers. Reading stuff like Times Higher Education and TES can be useful.
-Ask any questions you have at the end of the interview. We want to know if we're right for you, so use the opportunity to learn more about us.

Good luck with your interview! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Alex
Edge Hill University
Edge Hill University
Ormskirk
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending