The Student Room Group

Medicine without A levels?

My mother has completed the equivalent of A levels in my country, however universities do not accept them. She has functional skills level 2 in maths and English, and I was wondering if there is *any* way for her to get into medicine and become a doctor? I have read about foundation courses in universities that are equivalent to A levels but hardly any university accepts that instead of A levels.

Please help she wants me to find information out and I don't know where to look anymore!
She is in her 30s and believes she can. She is u able to go back to school and do A levels as apparently you can only do that until you are 19, but I will look at the GEM courses, thank you so much!
Hi, how do you go about doing an A-level or two as a mature student? (In the UK)
I am in the UK, but my mother has Informed me otherwise on A levels. Perhaps she wasn't fully aware, I will do some of my own research into that and I have looked at the GEM courses and they certainly are competitive. I really do appreciate your help
Thanks - much appreciated!! :smile:
Original post by biofrance
Hi, how do you go about doing an A-level or two as a mature student? (In the UK)

I just went to a private exam centre. Be prepared to pay alot (and alot more if you want tuition. Me Im just retaking some ex ams which Ive already done before and so revising myself.)
Ok cheers :smile: And good luck for yours
Original post by sagenorthcut94
I just went to a private exam centre. Be prepared to pay alot (and alot more if you want tuition. Me Im just retaking some ex ams which Ive already done before and so revising myself.)
Also I thought they did nt let older students into med?! My friend was an alevel retake and got rejected from so many unis despite straight As and even considered changi ng his whole career path. He is currently in his 3rd yr of med now
got my last 2 maths exams nex week. And let me know if you need some advice.
Original post by biofrance
Ok cheers :smile: And good luck for yours
Thanks for clearing that up. my friend told me that it was like uber difficult to get in to med if you had retake n a year and tjat they srsly discriminate against you if you have. I n fact it was a common ly held belief at my college. Pretty sure teachers even said it (they laughed at him when he said he wanted med). But im guessing tjey only do that at the top top schools.
hence why I thouhjt you couldnt be mature as it follows on logicallu from that line of thought. Follow up Q: whats the oldest med studentyouve admitted?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending