The Student Room Group

Appealing grades

Today I joined the 0.1% off a first club. Sadly I had eye surgery this year, which gave me extensions on coursework but not exams. It pushed my dissertation into my exam revision period and I completely trashed my exams (Low 3rd in a 60% exam, High 2.2 in a 40% one). My final grades were 1st, 1st, 1st, 2.1High, 2.2Low. If i got a mid 3rd instead of a low 3rd in the exam, I'd have a first.

I'm not really sure if an appeal will work, they would probably argue that I should know the content as a result of the whole years teaching, and not the last 3 weeks (1 week for me) of revision time.

Does anybody have any experience regarding acedemic appeals? Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure where to post.
Original post by themaster10
Today I joined the 0.1% off a first club. Sadly I had eye surgery this year, which gave me extensions on coursework but not exams. It pushed my dissertation into my exam revision period and I completely trashed my exams (Low 3rd in a 60% exam, High 2.2 in a 40% one). My final grades were 1st, 1st, 1st, 2.1High, 2.2Low. If i got a mid 3rd instead of a low 3rd in the exam, I'd have a first.

I'm not really sure if an appeal will work, they would probably argue that I should know the content as a result of the whole years teaching, and not the last 3 weeks (1 week for me) of revision time.

Does anybody have any experience regarding acedemic appeals? Sorry if this is in the wrong section, wasn't sure where to post.

Universities usually have an 'extenuating circumstances' process which allows exams to be deferred without them being capped. If this option was open to you but you didn't take it, then you're not well placed. You need to read your regs and find out the specific grounds under which an appeal can be considered. Your SU might have someone who can offer impartial guidance.
Reply 2
Unfortunately the offer was two week extensions on coursework submissions, exam dates remain the same with no option of deferring.
Original post by BeetRoots
Universities usually have an 'extenuating circumstances' process which allows exams to be deferred without them being capped. If this option was open to you but you didn't take it, then you're not well placed. You need to read your regs and find out the specific grounds under which an appeal can be considered. Your SU might have someone who can offer impartial guidance.
Original post by themaster10
Unfortunately the offer was two week extensions on coursework submissions, exam dates remain the same with no option of deferring.

That's unusual. What happens if someone cannot make it an exam because they've broken a leg or had a death in the family?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending