The Student Room Group

Is it worth appealing degree grade?

So, I've just found out I'm within 3 percent of a 2.1 degree. However, I had exceptional circumstances throughout third year. (mental health) which the uni were advised. However, the board notes state - no detriment considered? Would it be worth appealing?
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by DarthCookie
So, I've just found out I'm within 3 percent of a 2.1 degree. However, I had exceptional circumstances throughout third year. (mental health) which the uni were advised. However, the board notes state - no detriment considered? Would it be worth appealing?

On what basis ? If your mit circ paperwork is already in the system, then that should have been taken into account. Typically that might result in things like extra exam time, or a quiet room, possibly an uncapped retake opportunity, but NOT a mark uplift. 3% off a grade boundary is pretty big BTW, so it would need something major to push that up to the next degree class.
(edited 7 months ago)
^ As Odin says, 3% is significant at uni, not like school. And extenuating circumstances usually have to be submitted before exams and the such.
Reply 3
3% is actually just about 33% of the grade boundary, which is a lot. Being a third of a grade boundary away is a fair old distance and as Mr W said, mitigation is not generally deployed in a manner which affects a classification wholesale.

It is also unclear that there is any procedural ground according to which you would be entitled to appeal.

So on the face of things, I'd say no.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Wednesday
On what basis ? If your mit circ paperwork is already in the system, then that should have been taken into account. Typically that might result in things like extra exam time, or a quiet room, possibly an uncapped retake opportunity, but NOT a mark uplift. 3% off a grade boundary is pretty big BTW, so it would need something major to push that up to the next degree class.

This would be in relation to mental health. I did make the university aware that I had been struggling with mental health - they let me resit a couple of modules, my grade had improved in a couple of modules. I did see this on the appeal grounds.

A student’s performance in assessment has been affected by illness or other factors which, for valid reason(s), they were unable to divulge before the meeting of the Assessment Board but whether that would change anything I'm not sure
Much as above, 3% is a long way off the next grade. And from your previous threads your marks seem to be going the wrong way.
Original post by DarthCookie
I did make the university aware that I had been struggling with mental health - they let me resit a couple of modules, my grade had improved in a couple of modules. I did see this on the appeal grounds.

Ok, so it really does sound like they considered your mit circ submissions and offered some substantial mitigation, i.e. multiple retake opportunities. Without actually seeing all the raw paperwork I really can't see a reason to appeal. The aim of mitigation is always to allow a student to deliver as best they can on the day, not to simply bump up a grade. I have seen that done exactly once in several decades of "all hands" examiners meetings, a student with a really significant long term physical disability that impacted the entirety of their course (particularly practical work) but none the less deeply impressed many members of staff with their overall ability.
Reply 7
you won't know unless you try, so yes it's worth appealing. like what else do you have on your schedule that will have to sacrifice? your kids? time with your video games?

my mate was about to graduate with a 49% in his fourth year. didn't know jack **** about what he was studying and his uni let him resit last two modules.
Reply 8
Original post by Genesiss
you won't know unless you try, so yes it's worth appealing. like what else do you have on your schedule that will have to sacrifice? your kids? time with your video games?

my mate was about to graduate with a 49% in his fourth year. didn't know jack **** about what he was studying and his uni let him resit last two modules.

The question is really whether they are entitled to appeal - it's not an automatic right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending