The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Help

right..
was plannin on going to uni in leeds in sept... then decided i wanted a gap year BUT still havent cancelled my place.. now i'm thinking i want to go straight to uni now, but i haven't applied for student loan..if i apply now (i know its like a month late :|) will i get NO loan for the first term or will it just be late?
please help if you can. thanks :smile: Becca x
They have an official deadline for student loans but it will probebly still go through. I applied on time and thanks to the wonderful East Anglian student loans department who messed mine up, I didn't get it until a few weeks into term time. They always have these early deadlines but its only because their so crap they need extra time to get stuff sorted out :P You should be fine if you still want to go.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
thank you :smile: i'm so indecisive tho i'm still in two minds whether go have gap year and go travelling or go straight to uni.. any advice on this aswell lol?!
Reply 3
btw the deadline was 25th april (quite a while ago) if that makes any difference to your answer lol x
Isn't the deadline like the 20 somethingth of june?? If not then i'm late too...
I didn't know there was a deadline! eek!
I've like registered stuff for it on the net but i've not sent off my passport and stuff.
Goshhh, stress!
haha
Reply 6
Don't worry about the deadline, if you miss it it basically means there's a chance they won't be able to pay you on time, of course how this affects you depends on how much money you already start with, and yes the deadline for first year students is late June, so my younger brother informs me. For those of us (Like myself) who are going into our second year, the deadline was in May (for income tested, April for non income asessment I believe) :wink:

I know of someone who applied very late but still received their finance on time, the could be late that the SFC describe is just a precautionary statement to watch their backs incase it is late methinks :biggrin:
Reply 7
whats income assessed? sorry i don't kno alot about this lol.. i think i'm eligable to grants and stuff tho, so do you think my deadline wouldhave been earlier (april)?
Reply 8
Income assessed means they look at how much your parents earn,and whether you qualify for a grant, or a full maintainence loan if they earn under a certain amount then you're able to get the full loan or part of it :biggrin:
becca_xo
whats income assessed? sorry i don't kno alot about this lol.. i think i'm eligable to grants and stuff tho, so do you think my deadline wouldhave been earlier (april)?

You do need to be income assessed if you want to apply for grants I believe, it's where you have to provide details of your parents' incomes so they can decide how much to give you!
i applied late last year...around now...came a week later than everyones elses. it affected registering but the uni issue temporary student cards etc and its fine...message me if u have questions
becca_xo

Well here's a post about the subject that was done by a moderator on here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
New and returning students who are applying for NON-income assessed loans must have returned their student loan PN1 (or PR1 for returning students) forms by the 25th of April 2008. As this deadline has now passed, you might want to make an income assessed application.

Those who are applying for income assessed loans have a later deadline. For new students this deadline is the 27th June 2008. For returning students, the form must be returned by the 23rd of May.

Please remember that these deadlines are not absolute. Applications made after them will be considered, but it is not guaranteed that your loan will be paid on time (ie. it might be late arriving).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if that's correct then for both new and returning students non income assessed finances have past the deadline.

If you are getting assessed by your parents income (i.e. your parents or one of your parents have sent off their income work form thingymajig :p:) then the deadline for new students is 27th June as stated above. Of course don't look at these deadines as the "end of the world" type thing, you will get your finance, whether or not it could be late is dependent on the date you send the application.
Reply 12
When do you usually get the money?
the 1st day of teaching. I just remembered becca i only completed the application for my loan at the end of august as my LEA lost my birth certificate, and forgot to tell me, so i was on the last minute...as in the week before i left to complete the application and mine didnt take too much longer than everybody elses so dont worry about applying now.
Reply 14
I apply late every year and always get it on time, if not early. We're not talking a month late either here... we're talking mid August.
becca_xo
right..
was plannin on going to uni in leeds in sept... then decided i wanted a gap year BUT still havent cancelled my place.. now i'm thinking i want to go straight to uni now, but i haven't applied for student loan..if i apply now (i know its like a month late :|) will i get NO loan for the first term or will it just be late?
please help if you can. thanks :smile: Becca x

I think the deadline is dependent on the education authority that you are in...hence why everyone is saying different dates. I know in Staffordshire its the 27th June...

Latest