The Student Room Group

Degree Classification Issue

Hi I got my provisional results today and worked out that I got 59.97% and was wondering if this would be a 2.2 or a 2.1. My university usually rounds to one decimal place for module marks and I believe that this is what they would do for average year marks/ the degree classification score but I'm not sure and don't want to assume anything.
The degree examination board haven't met yet and I was also wondering if I should put in an email to anyone to appeal my case?
Thanks for any help you can give me
Read the actual regulations for your university first. Or ask someone who will know the regulations for your university and course (e.g. academic supervisor, assessment administrator etc) Often the award mark is the rounded whole number but different universities have different rules for how awards are classified so nobody can help without more information.

You haven't said anything about what grounds you would have for an appeal, but appeals would normally be after the exam boards as until then you don't actually have a result to appeal against.
Reply 2
So when I read the regulations for the marks it states that it is rounded to one decimal place but it is not specific to the award mark and more a general rule for all marks.

When I said I was going to appeal I should have really said is it worth me putting in an extenuating circumstance form. I haven't done this during the year and it seems like the period to do so is over but my grandma did pass away during my final year and that did affect the standard of my work. I've only mention this to my supervisor and never put it in a formal extenuating circumstances form.
Original post by toy&halo
Read the actual regulations for your university first. Or ask someone who will know the regulations for your university and course (e.g. academic supervisor, assessment administrator etc) Often the award mark is the rounded whole number but different universities have different rules for how awards are classified so nobody can help without more information.

You haven't said anything about what grounds you would have for an appeal, but appeals would normally be after the exam boards as until then you don't actually have a result to appeal against.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending