The Student Room Group

Should I rush to get an extenuating circumstanced form for Masters applications?

I have a decent 2:1 in my undergrad degree. But that's produced by a mixed bag of very high results and a couple of low 2:2s which have averaged out. I recently got rejected for my first choice course and they won't tell me why. So I'm wondering whether explaining my weird educational record might help.

I have a chronic physical illness which was recently diagnosed and was put down as a mental illness while I was studying. I had an individual learning plan (so that lecturers would know why I was absent / late with work sometimes).

In my second year I was really struggling with low energy and inability to concentrate and changed courses (from English Lit and French to French & Spanish, and I later took Chinese) as I thought the learning style would be easier to cope with (more technical skills and slightly less literary analysis). I had to wait until September for the next Spanish core module to start and I needed a break so dropped to part time for a year.

In my final year I got really physically sick and had to defer my January exams until the summer.

I got extensions on some essays and extra time in my final exams (I'd been offered it before then but never accepted).

There's even more to this including a complaints process due to an administrative error messing up my year abroad plans, a suicide attempt, and an abusive relationship with someone regularly having psychotic breaks and trying to kill themselves... . Which is why I kinda didn't want to get into it. I thought my grades turned out ok-ish and that would be enough but now I'm not sure.

One of my references mentions my illness as a reason for taking an extra year to complete.

Do you think it's worth trying to get a doctor's note in before the deadline for my next applications? I could maybe just mention the physical illness and leave it at that?
Original post by IzzyAnne
I have a decent 2:1 in my undergrad degree. But that's produced by a mixed bag of very high results and a couple of low 2:2s which have averaged out. I recently got rejected for my first choice course and they won't tell me why. So I'm wondering whether explaining my weird educational record might help.

I have a chronic physical illness which was recently diagnosed and was put down as a mental illness while I was studying. I had an individual learning plan (so that lecturers would know why I was absent / late with work sometimes).

In my second year I was really struggling with low energy and inability to concentrate and changed courses (from English Lit and French to French & Spanish, and I later took Chinese) as I thought the learning style would be easier to cope with (more technical skills and slightly less literary analysis). I had to wait until September for the next Spanish core module to start and I needed a break so dropped to part time for a year.

In my final year I got really physically sick and had to defer my January exams until the summer.

I got extensions on some essays and extra time in my final exams (I'd been offered it before then but never accepted).

There's even more to this including a complaints process due to an administrative error messing up my year abroad plans, a suicide attempt, and an abusive relationship with someone regularly having psychotic breaks and trying to kill themselves... . Which is why I kinda didn't want to get into it. I thought my grades turned out ok-ish and that would be enough but now I'm not sure.

One of my references mentions my illness as a reason for taking an extra year to complete.

Do you think it's worth trying to get a doctor's note in before the deadline for my next applications? I could maybe just mention the physical illness and leave it at that?

If you really want to go there then nothing to lose, but it should have gone in with the original application. Talk to admissions first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending