ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago

Welcome to the Cardiff University A104 (Medicine with a Preliminary Year) 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/unde...ary-year-mbbch

For entry requirements click: (see above)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Mutmit287
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks ecolier for setting up the thread!

Welcome to the new thread for prospective Cardiff medical school A104 (Medicine with a preliminary year) applicants for 2020 entry. This thread is designed to give prospective applicants a chance to discuss the application process, the course and the university, as well as get to known eachother.

There are current Cardiff medical students around to answer your questions:
- Mutmit287 - Current Cardiff final year

A104 is a preliminary programme (6 years long) designed for those students who have been unable to meet the subject requirements for entry onto the A100 course. For example if a student has taken non-science subjects at A-level, or has only taken one science subject at A-level. Applicants will still need to obtain AAA in their A-levels, hence it is not a foundation year for those who achieved below AAA in the recommended subjects. Following satisfactory completion of the prelimary year (comprised of core chemistry and biosciences modules), students will join year 1 of the A100 degree course.

Here are some useful links and contact details:
Overview and entry requirements
2020 entry undergraduate degree programme
Key contacts

FAQ Section:

Spoiler:
Show
How competitive is it to gain a place on the medicine course at Cardiff?
Cardiff medical school receive approximately 3,000 applicants each year for around 300 places. Approximately 1,500 students are invited to interview.

How are applicants selected for interview?
Cardiff perform an academic and non-academic assessment of applicants prior to interview.
The academic score is formulated from your best 9 GCSEs (to include English Language, Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry or double award science) as well as any achieved A-level grades at A or above.
If an applicant meets the academic score cut-off (which is not pre-set, it is decided upon during each application cycle and can change each year), their personal statements and referees report will be assessed.
Further information can be found here

Do i need to sit an entrance exam?
Yes, Cardiff require all undergraduate applicants to sit the UCAT examination. This must be sat in the months prior to application, you cannot use a UCAT score from previous admissions cycles. All graduates must sit the GAMSAT rather than the UCAT. There is no minimum threshold/cutoff score used for either of these exams.

What is the interview process like at Cardiff?
Cardiff uses the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) format. If invited to interview you will spend half a day on campus. During this time you will complete a 9 station, 8 minute per station MMI interview. These interviews take place over 3 weeks in December/January.

What style is Cardiff's medicine course?
Cardiff's medical degree is built around case based learning (CBL). This is a structured and supportive learning style designed to facilitate peer assisted learning and independent thinking skills. In years 1 and 2, you will be presented with clinical cases which will form the basis of your teaching for a 2 week block. All lectures, small group tutorials, labs, anatomy classes and placements will be based around this case. You will consolidate these structured timetabled learning sessions during your regular case group meetings, alongside a small number of colleagues and a facilitator (an academic). Cardiff Spiral curriculum also means that each year you will revisit the common clinical problems and build on what you have already learnt.

Does Cardiff do dissection?
Yes, During your first year you will perform dissections in order to learn anatomy.

Does Cardiff medical school have early patient contact?
Placements begin in year 1, with students visiting general practice settings weekly alongside their case based learning. This continues into year 2 and is backed up throughout by clinical skills and communication skills teaching.
Years 3, 4 and 5 consist of longer structured blocks of clinical placements, where students are attached to specialities within the hospitals throughout Wales. Students move hospitals for each placement allowing them to experience different medical settings.

Can you intercalate at Cardiff?
Cardiff offers intercalated BSc (iBSc) degrees within the school of medicine, the school of bio-sciences and Bangor University. Students can apply during their 3rd or 4th years and if successful will undertake a year of study outside them medical programme and gain a bachelor of science degree.

If you have any other questions please ask away!
Chez231
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are graduates with a science degree allowed to apply to the Cardiff A104 6 year programme ? Or is it non-science graduates only
Also are they required to the Gamsat ?
Thanks !
ENR123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi Everyone, just want to introduce myself I am a 2nd year medical student at Cardiff University and I will be following on from Mutmit287 with answering questions on behalf of the medical school! I made myself a new account - wanted to forget the days of unofficial markschemes popping up lol! I will try my best to answer questions as quickly as I can - ask away!
ENR123
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Chez231)
Are graduates with a science degree allowed to apply to the Cardiff A104 6 year programme ? Or is it non-science graduates only
Also are they required to the Gamsat ?
Thanks !
- If you have a science degree but not A-level biology or chemistry then you should contact [email protected] for advice
- If you have a science degree but with the relevant A levels you will not be eligible for A104 instead you would be able to apply for A100
- If you are applying for A100/A104 you are required to sit UCAT (other graduates/final year undergraduates must sit GAMSAT i.e A101/A102)
NatsP29
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Anyone here from the feeder course , or have any knowledge of it? Also is there any leniency for A Level grades??
Neurocandid
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NatsP29)
Anyone here from the feeder course , or have any knowledge of it? Also is there any leniency for A Level grades??
For Graduate entry you mean?
NatsP29
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Neurocandid)
For Graduate entry you mean?
yes, from one of the feeder courses up in Wales. Did you get in via a feeder stream?
Neurocandid
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by NatsP29)
yes, from one of the feeder courses up in Wales. Did you get in via a feeder stream?
My friend did. You need BBB
tommynimbus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Howdy, does anyone know what kind of time frame we can expect to hear back in about interviews/rejections? I'm fully dying here haha. Good luck to everyone!
Neurocandid
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tommynimbus)
Howdy, does anyone know what kind of time frame we can expect to hear back in about interviews/rejections? I'm fully dying here haha. Good luck to everyone!
From previous years I would say not at least until Jan. no news is good news. Hang in there
ENR123
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tommynimbus)
Interviews will be taking place over December/January with handing out official offers usually around February
tommynimbus
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Neurocandid)
From previous years I would say not at least until Jan. no news is good news. Hang in there
Thanks dude.

(Original post by ENR123)
Interviews will be taking place over December/January with handing out official offers usually around February
Cheers for this. Do you mean the invites to interview will happen in January? I'm trying to be nonchalant and composed about the whole thing but man am I emotionally invested. Haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (33)
21.85%
Labour (73)
48.34%
Liberal Democrats (16)
10.6%
Green Party (12)
7.95%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (1)
0.66%
SNP (4)
2.65%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (2)
1.32%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)