The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons (SFW)

Hello,
I'm currently a second year undergraduate in the midst of transferring between two universities and the university that I'm transferring to, requires me to repeat the second year. Due to this, I have to apply for PCR from Student Finance Wales. The reason why I am transferring is due to sudden decline in my partner's health during this year and due to this, she couldn't continue to work and so we weren't able to stay in our current residence because of financial difficulties. Would this suffice as sufficient PCRs. I'll also have a letter from a GP and my current Course Director supporting my claims.

Sorry for the long winded-ness of this post, it's been one hell of a situation.
Original post by PotatoChip
Hello,
I'm currently a second year undergraduate in the midst of transferring between two universities and the university that I'm transferring to, requires me to repeat the second year. Due to this, I have to apply for PCR from Student Finance Wales. The reason why I am transferring is due to sudden decline in my partner's health during this year and due to this, she couldn't continue to work and so we weren't able to stay in our current residence because of financial difficulties. Would this suffice as sufficient PCRs. I'll also have a letter from a GP and my current Course Director supporting my claims.

Sorry for the long winded-ness of this post, it's been one hell of a situation.

I have looked on the sfw site and it doesnt say much, so I will assume it goes along similar lines to sfe.

Can you outline your education so far including any foundation, repeat years or previous uni studies including HNC?
Is it just A / level 3 levels then straight to uni year 1 and current year 2?

Your claim is your partner has x illness/ condition and she has been forced to give up her job, this means you no longer have sufficient funds, so have to return home where you want to transfer your degree, but they will only let you start at year 2?
https://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/undergraduate-students/new-students/previous-study-rules.aspx
Answers it depends and I need the info above.

1. If you have only used 2 years ever, then you can transfer as of right and 100% restart year 2 because you get a gift/ insurance year to use for resits or any situation you want.
2. If you have no gift year then its cpr. Its unclear what the GP (hers?) and or course tutor say?
It is at their discretion, but I think they will look at the evidence and also consider the seriousness of the illness plus that of your relationship. If its longterm and more like a marriage then yes, if its new and untried, then it might be no.
They might say let her move back and you get a shared room or single at the uni i.e they may not consider your link to her and the situation serious enough.
3. For max effect you need to emphasise how serious a partner she is, the sudden onset and effect of the illness, your wish to look after her to an extent and the impracticality of you being able to afford a property. That is how I would build the narrative.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply!

My university journey has been far from straight forward. I went from A Levels to uni but then after the first year, I changed courses within the same uni (because I found a more suitable course, not because I failed that year). So I had essentially used the gift year the following year and was planning to complete the course I'm on now, but obviously this sudden decline in my partner's health happened and resulted in the situation I'm in now. Yes, due to her sudden decline, she was forced to give up her job which affected me too as we pool our finances together to afford rent etc. So I'm not able to continue stay by myself for the reasons of not being able to afford it financially and also as mentioned below, I couldn't be long distance from her for a whole year. I have mentioned these reasons do my course director and he completely understands and has written a letter to support that. Her GP also has written a letter stating what exactly happened to her and how it affected her ability to work. The university I'm transferring to, will not allow me to transfer straight into the third year of the course and require me to repeat the second year, but the entry requirements for this was to complete my current second year and get a certain percentage.

I had spoken to SFW and they explained that I have only two funded years left and the course I'm transferring has three years left.
The illness of my partner was severe as she was hospitalised three times within the same year (and we still don't know what's causing her illness) and we're engaged to be married so hopefully that will count for something with my PCR and I couldn't think of the possibility of being long distance for a year.

Sorry that this is all confusing, but any advice/guidance would be much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending