The Student Room Group

Compelling Reasons

So I have previously got into my final year at university then was withdrawn from the university for taking too many years to complete the course ( I had multiple years of study where I applied for exceptional circumstances due to my mental health). Last year I was diagnosed with autism and was now wanting to go back to uni but as I have outstanding modules for each of the years will be unable to start from final year. I was wondering is it possible to apply for compelling circumstances and get funding to start a course from the beginning?
Original post by chemNerd
So I have previously got into my final year at university then was withdrawn from the university for taking too many years to complete the course ( I had multiple years of study where I applied for exceptional circumstances due to my mental health). Last year I was diagnosed with autism and was now wanting to go back to uni but as I have outstanding modules for each of the years will be unable to start from final year. I was wondering is it possible to apply for compelling circumstances and get funding to start a course from the beginning?

Hi there, The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Thanks, Karen
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Karen
Hi there, The standard way we calculate funding is as follows:
- Students are entitled to funding for their course duration.
- We then award students an additional year of funding, should they need to repeat or change their course.
- We then take any previous study into consideration and this then gives a student their entitlement available for their course.
If there were mitigating circumstances as to why you didn't complete your previous course then you can apply for what is called Compelling Personal Reasons.
More information on this can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

Thanks, Karen

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your reply. So is it possible to get funding for the full length of a course after submitting compelling personal reasons if I have had funding up to 3rd year for a previous course is what I was wondering?

Thanks,
Danielle
Hi Karen,

Thanks for your reply. So is it possible to get funding for the full length of a course after submitting compelling personal reasons if I have had funding up to 3rd year for a previous course is what I was wondering?

Thanks,
Danielle

Hi Danielle,

It's possible, but it would be best to have you make an application first. We can then tell you for sure how many years you're entitled to, and we can then look at your CPR evidence.

If you were to do this when would your study begin?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi Danielle,

It's possible, but it would be best to have you make an application first. We can then tell you for sure how many years you're entitled to, and we can then look at your CPR evidence.

If you were to do this when would your study begin?

Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Sorry I didn’t see this reply. I would want to start this autumn coming. So it’s best to apply and then submit my compelling reasons?

Thanks,
Danielle
Hi Graeme,

Sorry I didn’t see this reply. I would want to start this autumn coming. So it’s best to apply and then submit my compelling reasons?

Thanks,
Danielle

Hi Danielle, Yes, please apply for the funding firstly and then submit the evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons. Thanks, Angela
Reply 6
Original post by Angela SFE
Hi Danielle, Yes, please apply for the funding firstly and then submit the evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons. Thanks, Angela

Hi Angela,
Sorry to ask so many questions. I’ve submitted my application do I now wait the 6weeks to see my entitlement or can I submit my compelling reasons now?

Thanks
Danielle
Hi Angela,
Sorry to ask so many questions. I’ve submitted my application do I now wait the 6weeks to see my entitlement or can I submit my compelling reasons now?

Thanks
Danielle

Hi Danielle, You can provide the evidence of Compelling Personal Reasons now. Thanks, Angela

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending