The Student Room Group

Funding to do a masters degree after dropping out of first one

Hi there.

I got a few months into my first masters in London, but ended up interrupting as I was struggling with mental health issues. A few months later I was diagnosed with ADHD and began treatment. I can get medical evidence for both the depression and the ADHD. When I initially interrupted the reason I put on the form was mental health reasons. I interrupted in 2020, and am still interrupted.

Since then I have I moved back with family to Nottingham so they could help me while my mental health was bad. I'm well again and have my disability treated. I now want to do a masters at Nottingham instead, and am preparing to withdraw from my course. I am preparing to apply for another postgraduate loan, and will be applying for personal compelling reasons.

My question is, do I have to provide evidence that I initially interrupted as I could not continue due to health reasons, or provide evidence my health is currently bad since I would be withdrawing now?

Thanks
Original post by bogdog
Hi there.

I got a few months into my first masters in London, but ended up interrupting as I was struggling with mental health issues. A few months later I was diagnosed with ADHD and began treatment. I can get medical evidence for both the depression and the ADHD. When I initially interrupted the reason I put on the form was mental health reasons. I interrupted in 2020, and am still interrupted.

Since then I have I moved back with family to Nottingham so they could help me while my mental health was bad. I'm well again and have my disability treated. I now want to do a masters at Nottingham instead, and am preparing to withdraw from my course. I am preparing to apply for another postgraduate loan, and will be applying for personal compelling reasons.

My question is, do I have to provide evidence that I initially interrupted as I could not continue due to health reasons, or provide evidence my health is currently bad since I would be withdrawing now?

Thanks

Hi there,

The evidence you will need to provide with your application will need to relate to the period of time when you left your course. Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) evidence will need to confirm what happened, how this affected your ability to study and when this happened.

Thanks,
Tina
Reply 2
Thanks, just to clarify is that the time of withdrawal or the time of interruption?
Original post by bogdog
Thanks, just to clarify is that the time of withdrawal or the time of interruption?

Hi,

This will be the time of last attendance, so the time of interruption initially. However you can include all details, for example that the ongoing circumstances have led you to withdraw from the course rather than return.

Hope this helps,
Tina
Reply 4
Fantastic, that's everything I needed to know.

Thanks so much for your help, you've been great!
Original post by bogdog
Fantastic, that's everything I needed to know.

Thanks so much for your help, you've been great!

No problem at all :smile:

Should any further questions arise, please don't hesitate to ask.
Reply 6
Hello again. I've gotten all the evidence I need, including letters from two doctors, as well as my university. Now I just need to know the specifics of what to do. From what I understand.

1. I withdraw my current suspended loan on the student finance website.
2. I send the compelling personal reasons letter in the mail
3. If these are accepted, I start a new loan application on the website which proceeds as it usually would.

Is this correct?

Original post by Tina Oliver SLC
No problem at all :smile:

Should any further questions arise, please don't hesitate to ask.
Original post by bogdog
Hello again. I've gotten all the evidence I need, including letters from two doctors, as well as my university. Now I just need to know the specifics of what to do. From what I understand.

1. I withdraw my current suspended loan on the student finance website.
2. I send the compelling personal reasons letter in the mail
3. If these are accepted, I start a new loan application on the website which proceeds as it usually would.

Is this correct?

Hi there, Your university would be required to send us the withdrawal notification to allow the team to update your application. You won't be able to submit another application online. This would need to be sent via post along with your CPR evidence. You can find the form to post here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1152204/sfe_pgl_application_form_2324_o.pdf

Thanks, Karen
Reply 8
Hello again. I did add you said and posted the compelling personal reasons letter and evidence together with the form. My application has been marked as ineligible for funding

However in the rejection letter, it makes no mention of my compelling personal reasons application, in fact, it states I may be eligible for another loan with compelling personal reasons. Can you check to see if my compelling personal reasons application has been considered?

Thanks
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by bogdog
Hello again. I did add you said and posted the compelling personal reasons letter and evidence together with the form. My application has been marked as ineligible for funding

However in the rejection letter, it makes no mention of my compelling personal reasons application, in fact, it states I may be eligible for another loan with compelling personal reasons. Can you check to see if my compelling personal reasons application has been considered?

Thanks,
Youssef Hafid

Hi Youssef,

Just to let you know I've removed that attachment as it has an awful lot of personal details, including your address, in them and not safe to share on a public access forum.

Apologies for any inconvenience
From previous SFE responses I don't think they can provide specific case guidance on TSR anyway, you will need to contact them directly for that.
Original post by bogdog

Thanks

Hi there,

It would be best to access your account so we can check this. Please call us on 0300 100 0031 and one of our team will be able to help.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 12
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi Youssef,

Just to let you know I've removed that attachment as it has an awful lot of personal details, including your address, in them and not safe to share on a public access forum.

Apologies for any inconvenience

No problem, the attachment was probably a bad idea.
Thanks
Original post by bogdog
No problem, the attachment was probably a bad idea.
Thanks

You're welcome! Have a nice day!
Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending