The Student Room Group

2:1 in Maths but can't find a job?

I must have applied for 300 jobs in the past month, the ones getting back are recruiters trying to make me sign up for some *****y grad scheme contract. The others I get no response from. I have decent AL aswell and an internship as work experience. I have really gotten no where with my application and don't know what to do. The jobs, i read carefully the requirements and make sure that i meet most of them before clicking send. Perhaps university wasn't worth it?

Scroll to see replies

what career are you interested in?
Original post by margiekins
what career are you interested in?

Analyst
I would advise getting your CV and Cover Letter checked if you're getting no response it might be that. You can send it into the below private forum if you want feedback.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339

Original post by thurthl-1998
I must have applied for 300 jobs in the past month, the ones getting back are recruiters trying to make me sign up for some *****y grad scheme contract. The others I get no response from. I have decent AL aswell and an internship as work experience. I have really gotten no where with my application and don't know what to do. The jobs, i read carefully the requirements and make sure that i meet most of them before clicking send. Perhaps university wasn't worth it?
I dont think theres much wrong with my CV tho
Original post by Themysticalegg
I would advise getting your CV and Cover Letter checked if you're getting no response it might be that. You can send it into the below private forum if you want feedback.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339
What were the grad schemes in? Were they at least related to being an analyst?
Did you search for junior analysts as in the long term just getting your foot in the door of the right industry is useful.
(edited 4 years ago)

Who has checked it? There's a few spelling mistakes in your posts ....
Original post by Muttley79
Who has checked it? There's a few spelling mistakes in your posts ....

Could i send it to you so you could quickly check it? i don't think i made any errors in my CV
(edited 4 years ago)
You probably don’t stand a chance in the world man
Could i send it to you so you could quickly check it? i don't think i made any errors in my CV

No - it's a breach of your privacy - use the link suggested above as that is 'safe'.

That's 10 applications a day, which implies you are not taking your time with them. Therefore your applications are most likely generic and not tailored towards the specific job.

You are just making it easy for them to reject you.
(edited 4 years ago)
1. you waited until you graduated before thinking about your career (you literally had 3 years to start thinking about this, now you're playing catch up), 2. you feel entitled to a job when you have literally nothing but a piece of paper and some tangential skills to show for it (literally no one cares about your a levels or degree classification - there are thousands just like you), and 3. you haven't honed in on what type of career you're aiming for (you're not honing in on anything and are just praying and spraying)..
What University did you go to?

If it is Oxford then I’m surprised you are struggling but if it’s even a half decent one you need experience to be able to distinguish yourself.

At the end of the day they know you are relatively smart getting your 2.1 in Maths (assuming you’ve gone to an alright uni) but they have no idea how you are round others/in a workplace. If your CV has nothing on it then you are going to look weak compared to other candidates with hundreds of hours working/ volunteering experience!
Leaving university with only a piece of paper and a single internship just isn't good enough, I'm afraid. Why on Earth did you not put yourself out there and make any effort with extracurriculars? I've only finished my first year and have already been elected to a society exec and regularly volunteered at a local school.

I suggest you give up looking at grad jobs and go for basic retail/admin/warehouse/call centre type stuff instead, maybe even a charity shop to tide you over until you find something paid. If I were hiring for high-skilled professional jobs, I'd chuck your virtually empty CV in the bin immediately.
Analyst

What type of analyst? Its a pretty generic job title.
Reply 15
Why do you think you're entitled to a job, just because you got a 2:1 in maths? :rofl2:
Reply 16
Not really. If an individual can't use their common sense to work out the difference between a lie and reality, then that's their own problem. I'm sure OP is a bright guy, but at the end of the day he should've done his research before getting into university.
Reply 17
It wouldn't hurt to do a grad scheme or gain more experience, you could get a job offer by the end of it.
Well the problem is actually quite obvious... If you've really applied to that many jobs recently then you are going about it all wrong as to me it says that you don't have a specific career you want and that you are not spending time on the application process and if that shows in the application then companies are very unlikely to take you because they are only interested in applicants that are passionate about that company or the job they are applying for.

What was your reason for doing a maths degree? What type of career did you have in mind at the outset?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending