The Student Room Group

“Not my Ariel”

. Personally I think it’s ridiculous the skin colour of the mermaid does lot take anything away from the character. I thought in big 2019 we’d be ready for some diversity guess not.🤷*♀️🤷*♀️

Thoughts ??
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I find the comments on twitter calling for a true to life Ariel to be hilarious. Some folk are out here in 3019 calling for the casting of real fish people.
I don’t mind it either way but I understand both arguments
1) accepting diversity
2) diversity for the sake of diversity. This is because disney are diverse because for race inclusivity and not staying true to the story. They’re complaining that it’s not true, not the race element. Many posts criticising this also talk about what if Tiana (black princess from princess and the frog) becomes white.
3) blatant racism but irrelevant. These mix with the ones above hence hiding the true view.
Completely fine with it. As long as she does a good job in the role I'm happy.
Reply 4
Original post by sinfonietta
Completely fine with it. As long as she does a good job in the role I'm happy.

That’s what I’m thinking, it’s literally a Disney film as long as she’s good then who cares
Original post by ThunderBeard
Many posts criticising this also talk about what if Tiana (black princess from princess and the frog) becomes white.

Not the same though - Tianas race is relevant to her story, just like Mulans and Pocahontas's. Ariel's just a fish person.
Screw diversity. I can't believe anyone actually cares about the colour of a blimming mermaid. If the original character was white, changing it just to pander to the commie loons in a way that is entirely unsubstantial for the character, seems daft.
(edited 4 years ago)
Lily James looked nothing like Cinderella, but she did a great job with the role and people loved the movie?

Pipe down everyone that says "not my Ariel". :rolleyes:
Considers whether to do the washing up liquid joke again...
Never watched the movie tbh. Just putting what I had read.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not the same though - Tianas race is relevant to her story, just like Mulans and Pocahontas's. Ariel's just a fish person.
Please do
Original post by Andrew97
Considers whether to do the washing up liquid joke again...
When things are "remastered" i often sigh when the little things are overlooked. I like the gap between the original and the "remastered" to be as inconsequential as possible.

Fortunately I'm not fan of the little mermaid so i don't really care about that stuff. But I'm a massive Uncharted (a game series) fan. And if Nathan Drake was "remastered" to be some individual that looks nothing like the video game Drake, i will certainly NOT watch that farce and voice my displeasure on the interwebz.
Reply 12
I want to add that people are comparing this to MLK Jr being played by a white man. Come on people : s
Is it right to reduce the representation of white people, in majority white countries, where white people are the main audience? If the reverse were happening, the loony left would never stop screeching; imagine a bunch of white people mass-migrating to India, and then demanding that Bollywood becomes at least 50% white?
I do think the complaints are valid, reverse the roles, if ariel was black, and played by an asian or white actress there would be an uproar. I dont think white people care as much, they are just sick and tired of the double standard. Why is it okay for coloured people to represent white people but not the other way round? Yes diversity is great and all, but dont erase whiteness to fit it in, instead there should be original characters (like mulan and the princess and the frog chic).
Personally I do not give two flying fu*ks, but I do understand the complaints.
Coming from an asian if that carries anything.
Good point, imagine if they made Aladdin or Pocahontas white. Lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
I find it unnecessary, sort of like they did it just for the sake of diversity and playing along, you don't need to make Ariel black, I don't have a care in the world what colour a character is, what I do care about is doing it because you feel like you need to for the sake of diversity, you don't need to do anything, that's what's getting the racism pot cooking, this right here, if you are honest about not caring about a persons skin colour then you won't act based on skin colour, simple. Bond, out.
Reply 17
Original post by Kill3rCat
Is it right to reduce the representation of white people, in majority white countries, where white people are the main audience? If the reverse were happening, the loony left would never stop screeching; imagine a bunch of white people mass-migrating to India, and then demanding that Bollywood becomes at least 50% white?

Disney’s audience is worldwide is wasn’t made for purely Americans. Also I feel like people are forgetting that the live action movie does not erase the previous movie it’ll still be there so they are being represented the same way as before. 😁
Original post by TheNamesBond.
I find it unnecessary, sort of like they did it just for the sake of diversity and playing along, you don't need to make Ariel black, I don't have a care in the world what colour a character is, what I do care about is doing it because you feel like you need to for the sake of diversity, you don't need to do anything, that's what's getting the racism pot cooking, this right here, if you are honest about not caring about a persons skin colour then you won't act based on skin colour, simple. Bond, out.

No-one cares!
Reply 19
Original post by Okay123
I do think the complaints are valid, reverse the roles, if ariel was black, and played by an asian or white actress there would be an uproar. I dont think white people care as much, they are just sick and tired of the double standard. Why is it okay for coloured people to represent white people but not the other way round? Yes diversity is great and all, but dont erase whiteness to fit it in, instead there should be original characters (like mulan and the princess and the frog chic).
Personally I do not give two flying fu*ks, but I do understand the complaints.
Coming from an asian if that carries anything.

I understand you but I think because there is more representation of white people other races want to see a reflection of themselves in the media.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest