The Student Room Group

What are the best non russel group universities for Law?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Kali.kb
Erm no. My cousin didn't "fail" her A Levels, she missed out on her Oxford offer and got AAB, Hertfordshire was her insurance because she wanted to stay closer to home.

Why on earth would your cousin have Hertfordshire as her insurance if she was applying to Oxford? For law of all courses?? 😂. She may be academic but she clearly has no common sense.
What part of closer to home did you not read?
Original post by hau28
Why on earth would your cousin have Hertfordshire as her insurance if she was applying to Oxford? For law of all courses?? 😂. She may be academic but she clearly has no common sense.
Original post by Kali.kb

Oxford and Hertfordshire aren't exactly next door :confused:
Original post by harrysbar

Open your eyes, man. The person was okay leaving home for the lofty heights of an Oxbridge education but otherwise was not. It is not that difficult to get your head around, surely.
Reply 24
Original post by Kali.kb

Which is a ludicrous reason to choose one of the worst Universities in the country as an insurance, for a Law degree of all things. That is why I said lack of common sense. Anyway, I was being rude tbh, sorry, but it doesn’t negate that your cousin made a severely misguided decision. I suggests that she does a postgraduate course at a reputable University, and the training contracts will come.
Can you provide evidence to counter this because just dismissing someone else's experience isn't a mature way of debating.
Original post by RV3112
Absolute Nonsense
Reply 26
That’s the equivalent of choosing to eat spam instead of quality restaurant food, just because you couldn’t get a seat at a Michelin star restaurant
Original post by Notoriety
Open your eyes, man. The person was okay leaving home for the lofty heights of an Oxbridge education but otherwise was not. It is not that difficult to get your head around, surely.
I agree but don't want to upset anyone so I'm off
Original post by hau28
That’s the equivalent of choosing to eat spam instead of quality restaurant food, just because you couldn’t get a seat at a Michelin star restaurant

Well, I don't think it would be done out of spite. I.e. I didn't get into Oxford, so I am going to live in the jungle and never speaking to any of you ever again. I imagine that the person would be anxious about moving away and there wasn't a justification for moving away for anything less than Oxford.

I will do more for £50 than £5, ya know.
Reply 29
Original post by Future Physics
Can you provide evidence to counter this because just dismissing someone else's experience isn't a mature way of debating.

You don't debate with people trying to scaremonger students from lower ranked unis. Anyone who does a scintilla of research could tell you that graduates from non-RG universities obtain training contracts all the time. Getting a TC has nothing to do with graduating from a RG uni. There must be dozens of threads on this forum discussing the same issue.
Not for law. Law works differently and does require certain universities, same for medicine courses if you plan on working in certain countries so it might be you who needs to do the research on this matter especially since people do have personal experience to back them up.
Original post by RV3112
You don't debate with people trying to scaremonger students from lower ranked unis. Anyone who does a scintilla of research could tell you that graduates from non-RG universities obtain training contracts all the time. Getting a TC has nothing to do with graduating from a RG uni. There must be dozens of threads on this forum discussing the same issue.
Reply 31
Not for law. Law works differently and does require certain universities, same for medicine courses if you plan on working in certain countries so it might be you who needs to do the research on this matter especially since people do have personal experience to back them up.

I worked in law firms for almost ten years. Law does not require certain universities. Your suggestion is laughable. Stop wasting my time.
Wrong also regarding medicine - you are going to become a doctor regardless of which university you'd attended to gain your med degree... It's how you do during the degree which differentiates you from another candidate.
I was paranoid I was gonna get played with a ‘yeah I know’ lmao. It is very odd, but I suppose Bath is a pretty science heavy uni, and it wouldn’t matter too much if St. And offered law as the majority of Scottish law degrees do not qualify you in England and Wales.
Original post by Prussianxo
Russel group don't mean s*** no more. They are literally self chosen unis who pressure the government to increase tuition fees.

They do the Lord's work.
No they're not, but she came to an agreement with my aunt that she wouldn't leave home unless she got into Oxford. Regardless, her being the oldest made it easier for my other cousin (her sister) to move out for uni a few years later. Her misfortune in employment could simply be down to other factors but it is what it is. She's a primary school teacher now and has a kid. Has she wasted her years doing a law degree and getting a 1st? That's down to personal opinion but regardless she has set the bar really high in terms of grades attainment within my family and has given my good advice for studying law. Even if you have to really think before listening to it.
Original post by harrysbar
I can't and won't force you to believe me lmao, that's up to you and you alone. At the end of the day, I never said don't go to a Russel Group uni. I originally was applying to 4 Russell Groups and 1 non Russell Group before changing my mind. Russell Groups aren't the be all and end all. I actually recommended UEA as an alternative, I simply only explained my cousin's situation as it's a real life scenario.

(Also I wouldn't be so quick to slate Herts. I can't stand the uni personally but so many young, unfortunately BME kids somehow see it through rose coloured glasses)
I went for law but most of them were business (which isn't surprising) but if we're gonna put in perspective I am the first and only student in my school that applied for all 5 Russell Groups and got offers. My friend and I were the first and only Oxbridge applicants in the history of the school. I substituted Oxford after a panic and my friend got an offer for history at Cambridge.

I have a friend who originally wanted to apply to Cambridge and Bristol for law last year, fast forward one year later he applied to Brighton, Portsmouth, NTU and unis alike and took an unconditional from Portsmouth. By the looks of it, I feel like the year 12's will change that and aim for top unis (non Russell Group and Russell Group but we'll have to see.)
Reply 38
I’m black and I’m highly aware that Herts is a bad university. But you’re right, a lot of BME aren’t informed about University choice, but usually those are the ones who didn’t get the grades to attend somewhere better anyway. Plenty of my BME friends have graduated from high ranking Universities.
Original post by Kali.kb
I can't and won't force you to believe me lmao, that's up to you and you alone. At the end of the day, I never said don't go to a Russel Group uni. I originally was applying to 4 Russell Groups and 1 non Russell Group before changing my mind. Russell Groups aren't the be all and end all. I actually recommended UEA as an alternative, I simply only explained my cousin's situation as it's a real life scenario.

(Also I wouldn't be so quick to slate Herts. I can't stand the uni personally but so many young, unfortunately BME kids somehow see it through rose coloured glasses)
Reply 39
Your aunt has severely hindered your sister’s socioeconomic progression, shame on her. I wish your sister all the best and I hope she manages to secure a training contract (I highly suggest she does a Masters somewhere reputable, as said before :smile:).
Original post by Kali.kb
No they're not, but she came to an agreement with my aunt that she wouldn't leave home unless she got into Oxford. Regardless, her being the oldest made it easier for my other cousin (her sister) to move out for uni a few years later. Her misfortune in employment could simply be down to other factors but it is what it is. She's a primary school teacher now and has a kid. Has she wasted her years doing a law degree and getting a 1st? That's down to personal opinion but regardless she has set the bar really high in terms of grades attainment within my family and has given my good advice for studying law. Even if you have to really think before listening to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending