The Student Room Group

getting a job at uni??

hi, so i’m going to be travelling overseas to England for university and I am hoping to get a part time job to help me with my living costs etc. How do I go about doing this if i have to come home at Christmas / Easter? What if no where will hire me because I cannot work throughout the whole year?
As far as I am aware in my university students can only work up to 15 hours a week whilst studying full time (this included volunteering). For international/EU students it differs slightly but you need to apply for a student work visa or something like that. The university should be able to help you through this process
Original post by Doublletrouble
As far as I am aware in my university students can only work up to 15 hours a week whilst studying full time (this included volunteering). For international/EU students it differs slightly but you need to apply for a student work visa or something like that. The university should be able to help you through this process

Its quite common to be able to pick up bar work / student union cafe server or similar things with hours that that you can fit arround your course. E.g. if you wourk in one of the university bars then their peak business is in term time and they will be expecting some of their regular workers to drop out over Christmas.
Hi there,

Have you looked for jobs on your university campus itself? They should have an employability hub or department (we have one at Liverpool Hope) where you can apply for jobs and also receive assistance with applying for any necessary visas or with your CV.

The beauty of working on campus for the university itself is they know you will go home for the holidays and can accommodate that into your work. I had 2 jobs on campus when i was studying and if I needed less hours for when I had my dissertation due, this was easily worked around.

Fi :horse:
Original post by Anonymous
hi, so i’m going to be travelling overseas to England for university and I am hoping to get a part time job to help me with my living costs etc. How do I go about doing this if i have to come home at Christmas / Easter? What if no where will hire me because I cannot work throughout the whole year?
(edited 4 years ago)
Check out unitemps if your uni is part of it (they may even have something similar)
Hey,

As already mentioned - there are jobs such as university jobs, working on campus or as an ambassador. You get a lot of lenience in these, so long as you work your fair share!

Generally speaking, most jobs will know that you have to leave, so express it to them early. Tell them you're a university student, you can work part-time up until X, etc.

Joshua :smile:
Which university do you go to? Does each university in the UK have different regulations for how many hours a student can work?

When I was at uni studying full time, I worked 24+ hours a week - I don't recall a limit, but maybe I just didn't know about it 😦

Original post by Doublletrouble
Original post by Anonymous
Which university do you go to? Does each university in the UK have different regulations for how many hours a student can work?

When I was at uni studying full time, I worked 24+ hours a week - I don't recall a limit, but maybe I just didn't know about it 😦

Sorry for not making it clear the 15 hours refers to on campus jobs like student ambassador, cafe etc. Outside University there is no limit lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending