The Student Room Group

Suit For University?

Hey just a quick question,

I'm starting to study Law at Leeds Uni in September and I was unsure if I'd need to buy a suit; I currently don't own one or any "professional" clothing. Not sure if there's any employer meetings, balls, workshops or anything like that which whole require a suit. Dont want to spend money on one if I dont need to.

Thanks.
No need for one day to day. You'll obviously need one eventually, but I'd have thought it's best to pick one up when you actually need it rather than as part of your shopping list before you start university.
You can buy one when you need one, e.g. for interviews, open days and some dinners. Many of the events will just be smart-casual (i.e. dress nicely but not too fancy). You won't need one for uni stuff, unless you're a weirdo.
You'll need one for formal networking events and interviews and whatnot, but I wouldn't rush to get one straight away.
Original post by Notoriety
You can buy one when you need one, e.g. for interviews, open days and some dinners. Many of the events will just be smart-casual (i.e. dress nicely but not too fancy). You won't need one for uni stuff, unless you're a weirdo.

Haha definitely wouldn't be wearing it around uni day to day
Original post by Crazy Jamie
No need for one day to day. You'll obviously need one eventually, but I'd have thought it's best to pick one up when you actually need it rather than as part of your shopping list before you start university.

Was thinking of getting one at uni, but I'm worried it would be more difficult to afford one when I'm there because I'll be buying food, paying rent, etc. How much would a decent suit cost?
Original post by Atlas99
Haha definitely wouldn't be wearing it around uni day to day

There were about 20 or so students who wore a suit to every lecture/seminar. They normally have small pee-pees.
Original post by Notoriety

You say that but there was this dude in my lectures that wore one without fail every day. He was either loaded or had a screw loose.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by MidgetFever
You say that but there was this dude in my lecturers that wore one without fail every day. He was either loaded or had a screw loose.

I thought that was a joke, didn't realise people like that actually exist.
I am joking btw. People do that (I was being serious about that) but if that makes them feel confident and content, who really cares.
That's cheaper than I was expecting. Are there any places I can get a suit fitted or is it fine to just buy a generic one?
Wait - firstly you certainly wont need one in your first year, and you will have grown by your third year when you do actually need one for interviews etc. As above, if you have some sensible semi-formal clothes (dark school-type trousers, shirt/tie and dark jumper) you'll be fine for any networking event - promise. (And there are always bargains in the summer/Jan sales - just wait until you really do need one).
Original post by Atlas99
That's cheaper than I was expecting. Are there any places I can get a suit fitted or is it fine to just buy a generic one?

Generic. Fitted suits are expensive and entirely unnecessary until you're well established in your career. Even then they're not necessary, but it's at that stage that people sometimes like to buy better quality. The £200 that Johan mentioned will get you a good quality suit for your purposes, but you can also get excellent value in the sales and can either get away with spending less than that, or getting more for your money.
I bought my fiancé’s wedding suit at Debenhams and I paid £100 for suit, shirt and tie. It’s certainly not poor quality so it’s possible to get a decent suit for a bit less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending