The Student Room Group

UKCAT and GAMSAT

Hi everybody,

I am a mature student (30) with a good 2:1 psychology degree thinking of applying to medicine. I have no A-levels in science, but I was always good at science in school and have been using the fabulous Khan Academy app to refresh my memory and learn more science. I did Access course before my psychology degree to obtain a similar level to A-level in maths and English, but unfortunately most and nearest medical schools (I.e. uni of Birmingham, Aston) don’t accept that I don’t have the necessary A-levels and GCSEs to apply. So, my nearest medical schools that I could apply for are uni of Warwick and uni of Nottingham (which are further from me but excellent all the same). One needs UKCAT and one needs GAMSAT, I am thinking of taking the exams next year to give me enough time to prepare.

I don’t work in paid roles but I do work in other volunteering roles such as a dementia carer and St Johns (which I recently found out Uni of Warwick won’t accept as experience so I’m crushed but hey ho), I also work in my sons school and I am a parent governor too. However, I have plenty of time to revise and read and practice writing essays in the GAMSAT way etc.

My first question is whether based on my circumstances anyone would believe I have enough time to be ready for the exams?

Secondly, and please don’t be too harsh, do you think I may have a chance of passing exams based on my psychological background whilst also having a deeper understanding of sociology (I did this for access course) and philosophy (I did this in degree) and concentrating on revising hard on my advanced sciences?

And thirdly, any tips would be greatly received.

Thank you
Reply 1
From my understanding, most medical courses are based off prior A-Level knoledge so that they can use it as foundations to further develop your mindset.
I would advise possibly equiring about any fastrack A-Level courses that are near you starting in september.
Most medical schools require the A-Levels of Biology and Chemistry as a minimum; some require 3 Science based subjects but are adamant about Biology and Chemistry.
Your work experience would set you apart from other applicants on your personal statement if you are applying through UCAS.
I wish you all the best of luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Hi S47W4N,
Thank you for your reply.
I have not fully enquired with both universities about the A-Level requirements, but I am going by the fact that there is no mention whatsoever on the information pages for the Graduate entry course that A-levels are needed because I am a graduate of a science degree. In comparison to university of Birmingham and Aston who are specifically saying A-levels of A* standard are needed with no exceptions. So I will look further into that, but I feel if it is the case that A-levels are needed there is no way i could afford those all at once (as no funding will be given for these). So perhaps my dream is dead already. ☹️
Yes, if you put in the work based on what you've said here there is no reason why you shouldn't do well in both the UCAT and gamsat. I used Khan Academy extensively in my gamsat preparation and came out with a good enough mark to get interviews.

I guess that it's not possible for you to relocate? If it Is, you could look at other universities that don't require A levels: Swansea, SGUL, Newcastle spring to mind (for graduate entry). If standard entry might be an option (depending on your financial situation) you could look at Plymouth, Exeter.

There's lots of good info and advice in the Graduate Entry Medicine threads and gamsat threads.
Original post by S47W4N
From my understanding, most medical courses are based off prior A-Level knoledge so that they can use it as foundations to further develop your mindset.
I would advise possibly equiring about any fastrack A-Level courses that are near you starting in september.
Most medical schools require the A-Levels of Biology and Chemistry as a minimum; some require 3 Science based subjects but are adamant about Biology and Chemistry.
Your work experience would set you apart from other applicants on your personal statement if you are applying through UCAS.
I wish you all the best of luck :biggrin:

There are a number of errors in your understanding - I won't correct all of them, but just that neither Warwick nor Nottingham's graduate entry course require A levels @SteelBRo seems a little disheartened by your reply - realism is useful, but inaccuracies are unhelpful so please be careful.
Reply 5
Hi jzdzm,

Im good. I am expecting all sorts of comments here and it’s absolutely fine. I believe S47W4N was trying to be helpful and I respect that. Their comment has actually helped to think I should find out more facts about what I’m going into rather than simple research on university websites, I would hate for it to be a case of me getting everything prepared and then finding out I would need extra qualifications. thank you ever so much for your support though.
Reply 6
Hi jzdzm,

Thank you for your reply,

Yes Khan Academy is amazing. I also use other apps such as vocabulary builder which is showing me words I have never heard in my life even though I did a higher tier English in access course lol. I am also listening to philosophy podcasts.
Just purchased Grayling the meaning of things so going to delve into that tonight.
And I found some practice GAMSAT exams for free on Amazon books as a template for section 1 and 2.

In regards to relocation it isn’t an option I’m afraid. I have two children who are in primary school age. One is going to be in secondary school next year and the other is autistic and a massive upheaval like relocation would be so detrimental to him. They are my life and of course I want to make sure this decision won’t be too much for them. Yes I know they won’t see me as much if I get into medical school, however I am extremely lucky to have a wonderful family support network when it comes to my children (moving too far away from that network is terrifying too) so I’m determined to fit it all in fairly and I know I will.

Thank you so much for your advice.
Take care
Reply 7
I am not sure what A levels/grades you did do, but do you meet any of Birmingham's contextual flags? This would lower the grades required and may just mean 1 A level (either Chem or Biology) is needed and if you are near Birmingham there will be adult learning courses where you can do this, or ot os available online and costs so not seem to be ridiculously prohibitive eg https://cloudlearn.co.uk/Course/Online-A-Level-Biology-Course-AQA/199

See contextual information here:
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/entry-requirements-four-year-programme.aspx

And scoring for contextual A levels here:
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/medical-school/applying-to-medicine/selection-for-interview.aspx

It is certainly worth calling them up and speaking to them about your situation to see what you would need to be able to progress here - the answer might be nothing can be done, but you never know!
Reply 8
Hi GANFYD,

Thank you for your advice. Yes there is no harm in contacting the individual universities and finding out this information.
As far as I can see from my own research, firstly student finance will only fund a GEM (graduate entry medicine). So if I want to start from scratch again with A levels I will have to self fund and it will also take me even longer to get to medical school as I will be firstly revising for quite a few a levels (most schools ask for A in maths, all the sciences and English too) then I will get round to revising the UCAT after this. Phew. I am already on my 30s and I don’t want to waste too much time tbh plus I have two young children to consider.

Secondly, I actually have no recognised A Levels nor do I have GCSEs (I messed about in my younger years and dropped out of school at 15, back when it was very easy to do in the 00s) I only have access course equivalents which are higher tier maths and English which no one will accept. This was an access to psychology which got me onto my psychology degree I now have.
I also looked at university of Leicester as they were the closest to me that would accept a access course but alas it is an access to medicine course from specifically Dudley college that they would only accept and again this is not funded by student finance as I have already completed one access course.
So you see I am more than capable of learning A-level advanced maths and science as I was bright in school I just wasn’t interested at the time. I just don’t have the qualifications to present to closer universities who are wanting these qualifications with no exceptions. It is clear on their web pages that there will be no exceptions. Plus tbh the closer universities are actually less flexible with their help with funding a GEM. Student finance only provide £5500 and I have to find £3500 myself, university of Nottingham are able to give me almost all of that shortfall bar a few hundred pounds. So it is logical to choose University of Nottingham although it is further away. However, I am planning to do both UCAT and GAmSAT in 2020 so I have options. (Well that’s if I pass either) 😖
Reply 9
Original post by SteelBRo
Hi GANFYD,

Thank you for your advice. Yes there is no harm in contacting the individual universities and finding out this information.
As far as I can see from my own research, firstly student finance will only fund a GEM (graduate entry medicine). So if I want to start from scratch again with A levels I will have to self fund and it will also take me even longer to get to medical school as I will be firstly revising for quite a few a levels (most schools ask for A in maths, all the sciences and English too) then I will get round to revising the UCAT after this. Phew. I am already on my 30s and I don’t want to waste too much time tbh plus I have two young children to consider.

Secondly, I actually have no recognised A Levels nor do I have GCSEs (I messed about in my younger years and dropped out of school at 15, back when it was very easy to do in the 00s) I only have access course equivalents which are higher tier maths and English which no one will accept. This was an access to psychology which got me onto my psychology degree I now have.
I also looked at university of Leicester as they were the closest to me that would accept a access course but alas it is an access to medicine course from specifically Dudley college that they would only accept and again this is not funded by student finance as I have already completed one access course.
So you see I am more than capable of learning A-level advanced maths and science as I was bright in school I just wasn’t interested at the time. I just don’t have the qualifications to present to closer universities who are wanting these qualifications with no exceptions. It is clear on their web pages that there will be no exceptions. Plus tbh the closer universities are actually less flexible with their help with funding a GEM. Student finance only provide £5500 and I have to find £3500 myself, university of Nottingham are able to give me almost all of that shortfall bar a few hundred pounds. So it is logical to choose University of Nottingham although it is further away. However, I am planning to do both UCAT and GAmSAT in 2020 so I have options. (Well that’s if I pass either) 😖

Yes, SFE will only provide tuition fee loans for GEM, but whilst you would have to fund A levels (probably going to need Chem, Biology plus any other if you have none to date), you could then use these to apply for GEM, you would not, by default, have to go for Standard Entry. Most would accept your higher tier maths and English in lieu of GCSEs, I suspect, given you have a degree and would by then have A levels too.
It is worth trying your route, as you only need one offer, but doing A levels is always there as another option. You are not old, I did O levels in the 80s!! If you do A levels over 2 years, starting in September, you would apply next Oct for 2021 entry with predicted grades
Reply 10
Hi Royal Oak,

thank you for your response. I have got all the information directly from student finance about exactly what I will get in each year to help me including all maintenance loans etc. I also extensively read the NHS bursaries information so I know I will survive financially completing a medical degree. My point is I was looking at the overall pros and cons of both universities and university of Nottingham will fund the remaining fees in year one, Warwick will not. I do not work, I don’t have money to save. I have just come out of a psychology degree and I was having doubts throughout the degree that psychology wasn’t actually a right fit for me.
Reply 11
Hi Royal Oak,

thank you for your response. I have got all the information directly from student finance about exactly what I will get in each year to help me including all maintenance loans etc. I also extensively read the NHS bursaries information so I know I will survive financially completing a medical degree. My point is I was looking at the overall pros and cons of both universities and university of Nottingham will fund the remaining fees in year one, Warwick will not. I do not work, I don’t have money to save. I have just come out of a psychology degree and I was having doubts throughout the degree that psychology wasn’t actually a right fit for me.
See my other thread for a full understanding of my situation. Thanks
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6063476
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Yeh it’s a bursary to low income families. I have spoke to them and based on my current circumstances, which aren’t expected to change, I would be most likely entitled to help. I don’t know exactly when you do exams before applying but I would like to apply for medical school next September 2020 (if I pass the UCAT and GAmSAT).
Thank you for your advice and taking the time to answer

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending