The Student Room Group

A level biology easy??

ive just finished my AS exams and im thinking of continuing biology at A2
is there a big step from AS to A2 biology or does it become easier?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not easier at all, it becomes more interpretation rather than simple answers and you have to apply your knowledge more. In this sence i find chemistry easier as you know the answer is either right or wrong.
Reply 2
ahahahahahaa don't make me laugh..

in all seriousness its not easy.. so much content. If your good at it carry on :smile:

-It's all application of knowledge, so they give you loads of situations.
So glad the exams are almost over.. only 1 left for biology :biggrin:
Reply 3
i agree chemistry is easier

its a lot more about how you word answers at a2
Reply 4
yeh deffo, i dont no why they make chem to be so hard

the thing with chem is...you always remeber how to do mechanisms and calculations as, if you do them loadsa times u get them stuck in your head, plus the organics are reinforced throughout the 2 years so u cant forget it.

in bio, your not going to look back at teeth of ruminants when learning about reabsorbtion in the kindey are you?
Reply 5
It definately doesn't get easier. The content itself becomes alot more difficult to grasp i.e. respiration and photsynthesis...*shudder*

But if you're predicted a good grade in it at AS then i'd recommend taking it onto A2. It gets more interesting then in my opinion!
Reply 6
Well I thought Biology Module 4 was harder than 1,2 and 3 put together, but module 5 was pretty easy, and I am yet to do module 8/Synoptic paper.

Module 4 is a LOT of content.
Module 5 is mainly applying knowledge.

I do AQA Biology Spec B btw.
Well at AS I averaged at about 95% in my modules, in A2 so far I got a B and a C in my modules. Make of that what you will....
It becomes way more detailed and in depth but not more difficult to understand. Just more to remember. I say carry it on! Even though I was reluctant at first I do not regret it at all :smile:
Carlo08
Not easier at all, it becomes more interpretation rather than simple answers and you have to apply your knowledge more. In this sence i find chemistry easier as you know the answer is either right or wrongy
yup :smile: he's done biology a level. :p:
AS to A2 is probably more than double the content. Unit 4 is the largest I think.
If you did good at AS, then sure, take it to A2. You should have a good idea of what it's about already. A2 is just more content, no major differences beyond that. You do have to start to bring different areas of the syllabus together though.
There is a jump between AS and A2, but the synoptic paper seemed easy-ish to me - a lot of it was interpretation, it wasn't as detailed as I thought it would be - hopefully my results will be good. The Central module was reasonable as well. I'd say chemistry is more difficult as it's more abstract, just loads and loads of learning. If you want to do Biology at university you'll need both though.
Reply 12
IT'S HARD. the grade boundaries for unit 5 and 6 aren't that high, but the things you need to stuff into your brain is crazy.

biology A level is the one i struggle the most in, out of all my other subjects.
further maths is only a close second.
Reply 13
what if i learn most of unit 4 during the holidays, will it take the pressure off in september
and also how long is unit 5, is it more than unit 4
oh btw im doing edexcel forgot to mention that
who ever said biology is easy needs to be shot. I do English and History and they are simple compared t obiology, you never know what the question wants you to do, and unlike History you cant turn the question on its head or refute it. Its madness. Especially essay writing. Jeez.
Reply 15
The concepts aren't hard to understand... but memorising the bloody mark scheme is considering they don't like to mark you right for answers that are worded SLIGHTLY differently (is still angry at whoever marked her BYB4 paper...)
Reply 16
In my opinion biology is the easiest of the sciences at A-level. The marks are scaled up ridiculously from raw to UMS, the A2 concepts are rarely more in depth than AS; there is just more content. The odd bit of extra detail is added in A2, but it really relies on the principles learned in AS.

If you do well in AS then you only need 180UMS to get an A overall. In biology, its possible to coast your A2 and achieve a good grade.
Reply 17
pete_frank
In my opinion biology is the easiest of the sciences at A-level. The marks are scaled up ridiculously from raw to UMS, the A2 concepts are rarely more in depth than AS; there is just more content. The odd bit of extra detail is added in A2, but it really relies on the principles learned in AS.

If you do well in AS then you only need 180UMS to get an A overall. In biology, its possible to coast your A2 and achieve a good grade.

There's a difference between doing well at AS and getting 300/300 at AS.
Reply 18
It's ridiculously hard.
Reply 19
the following isn't constructive, but it is true: hardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhardhard

Quick Reply

Latest