The Student Room Group

Taking a gap year - worried about social life

I’m just starting A2 in September and have come to the realisation that i can’t afford university without taking a gap year and living at home and working for the year. However i’m slightly concerned about what will happen for me socially. My friends are either moving away for universities or are doing gap years volunteering abroad so i will not have any of them and I don’t really want to spend the year working 5 days a week then going home and spending the rest of all my time with me family and no friends.

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and could explain how it worked out for them? Thanks.
Im confused about your financial situation..? Are you not eligible for a student loan?

But yeh dw about not having friends around, you'd be surprised by the amount of people that end up staying home and working for a year. And you can always keep in contact wit your friends, go visit them etc and make new friends
Reply 2
Original post by ----_----
Im confused about your financial situation..? Are you not eligible for a student loan?

But yeh dw about not having friends around, you'd be surprised by the amount of people that end up staying home and working for a year. And you can always keep in contact wit your friends, go visit them etc and make new friends

I am eligible for a student loan however as it’s means tested i would be eligible for the least amount (£4,168) which won’t even cover my accommodation and the course i am looking at leaves very little time to work so i am not able to afford uni yet. Thank you though, you’ve reassured me quite a bit

Quick Reply

Latest