The Student Room Group

Uni at 20?

Okay so I’m 18 at the moment doing my alevels online, and im hoping to go to uni after, but i cant help but feel like ill have an even more difficult time making friends due to the age difference :// i know it’s only two years, but it makes a big difference and i don’t want to feel even more isolated than i would usually
They’ll only know you are 20 if you tell them. Honestly, they probably won’t care about your age or even think to ask, so why worry?
Original post by capripisces
Okay so I’m 18 at the moment doing my alevels online, and im hoping to go to uni after, but i cant help but feel like ill have an even more difficult time making friends due to the age difference :// i know it’s only two years, but it makes a big difference and i don’t want to feel even more isolated than i would usually

It really doesn't make a big difference. It's a schoolchild thing to be obsessed with one year's difference in age. Adults don't operate like that. Have you ever heard your parents worry about the fact their friends are a year older or younger than they are? Of course you haven't, because it's just not an adult thing.

No-one is going to have a clue you are 20 unless you tell them, and they are going to care even less.
not an issue, 20 is still young. If you were going at say 30 then it would be an issue.

Age is but an illusion in young adults. I won't say my age but suffice to say, I'm older than everyone else but nobody has noticed, nor cared when I told them my age. In fact, even when people know my age, they forget, because it doesn't matter! I'm speaking from experience here, trust me, it's a non-issue, genuinely, not even worthy of a single second of worry :smile:
Reply 5

I started uni at 20 and I had no issue in making friends with everyone, i'm in my final year now and my social life has been excellent. I have a great friend group and some people are younger and a lot older than me - but it doesn't affect our group dynamic at all and nobody feels the difference. You won't get isolated over it. There is a guy on my course who is over 30 and he has made friends with a lot of the younger people on the course - nobody really cares if you're older; what matters is if you're friendly and nice! Good luck with your studies, I hope you make a lot of good friends and memories at uni :smile:

Hi there

It is good to hear that you are thinking about going to University in the future. :smile:

Age is definitely not an issue, like you said 20 is only a small difference. There are many students that are older when starting University, and for various reasons: taking a gap year, changing a course, coming from a different country with different education systems.

At University, there is no pressure to hang around with people in your own year. Friends from different years are very common, as there are many opportunities to meet people in societies/ courses etc.

Please do not let your age discourage you from going to University. Age doesn't really make a large difference at University. :smile:

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Hi @capripisces

As cliche as may sound - "Age is just a number"! I am currently 22 and I have friends from different age groups and walks of life. The key is just connecting with people you click with in uni.

I hope this helps.:smile:

Best wishes,
Minkateko - University of Essex Online Student Ambassador

Hi there @capripisces, :smile:

Great to hear that you are interesting in going to University in the next few years!

Please don't worry about making friends, here at University we have students of all ages who have come from different backgrounds. You're age won't have an impact on you making friends, there are many ways to meet new people at University.

You can join one of the many societies or clubs where you will meet people who share the same interests. Attending freshers week can also be a great way to meet new friends in your first week of University as there will be many events that you can attend.

Wishing you all the best,
Sarah

This is a very common concern but honestly, when you step on campus you'll realise just how varied it is. So many cultures and backgrounds and people of all ages, no one stands out and everyone just gets along. Joining a club or society is a good way to make friends and just ensure you make an effort with your coursemates too.
Beyond my two closest mates, I honestly could not tell you how old anyone I went to uni with was.

Hey there!

I totally understand your concern about the age difference when starting university, but let me assure you, it's not as big of a deal as you might think! Trust me, when you step foot on campus, you'll realise that age is just a number and making friends is all about finding people with similar interests and vibes.

In fact, university is a melting pot of different ages, backgrounds, and experiences. It's a place where you'll meet people from all walks of life, and you'll be amazed at how quickly you can connect with others, regardless of the age gap.

Plus, being 20 and starting your journey at university means you'll have the advantage of life experience. Embrace your strong sides and enjoy the excitement that comes with it!

And don't worry, we've got your back! In university, there are plenty of opportunities to meet new people and make friends. Whether it's through societies, clubs, or events, there's something for everyone.

So, don't let the age difference hold you back. Embrace this new chapter in your life with open arms, be yourself, and get ready to create amazing memories with incredible people.

If you ever need any more advice, feel free to reach out. We're here to support you every step of the way.

Wishing you all the best,

Ilya:biggrin:

Hi capripisces,

I’m Pip, a 3rd year TV Production student. In my experience, no one really asks your age when you get to uni - everyone is sort of in the same stage in life so it doesn’t matter too much! (In a good way)

Actually, a lot of my course mates are 1/2 years older than me so you’d be surprised 🙂

Hope this helped,

Pip

Hey there @capripisces !

I really wouldn't worry about this, there will be a lot of people with a different age gap to you when you join, some who may even be older which isn't anything to worry about. I went through the whole of first year not knowing I was the youngest one in my course friendship group and that two of them were 23. We just didn't even think to ask each other as we got on so well so it's really nothing to be worried about. I doubt you'll even notice the age difference.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
2 years is nothing at Uni 😊 honestly you will be absolutely fine! And for many students who took a gap year/changed course ect it will only be a year gap

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending