The Student Room Group

How academically able is the following person?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheYearNiner
I did better than OP but average for tsr standards

Average for TSR means about 14 A*’s then. Well done!
Original post by Walt_14
How much natural intellectual ability someone who did zero revision for their GCSEs and got 2 As, a B, 2 Cs and 3 Ds has? Are they exceptional grades without any revision at all?

Probably average.

Id say a person whos alright can get 10 A's & Bs with no revision but would struggle for the top marks, as theyll always slip up if you dont do any revision.

GCSE's are pretty trvivial and this is a very poor set of results.
Haha thanks but I wish!!
Haha thanks but I wish!!

I just want to see if you got better than me tbh
You most likely did :tongue:
You most likely did :tongue:

Not necessarily; I went to a pretty crap school too
Original post by Aaryra
LOOOOOOOL I got 9A*s and 2As. The 2As were ones I did in Year 9.

Well not everybody can do that, that's just immense arrogance on your part. If you did 'very little' revision and got those grades, congrats, you have savant-level memorisation ability. For most people it is simply far too difficult to ace all of their subjects, including their weakest ones, without a huge amount of work.
Original post by TimeGear
Well not everybody can do that, that's just immense arrogance on your part. If you did 'very little' revision and got those grades, congrats, you have savant-level memorisation ability. For most people it is simply far too difficult to ace all of their subjects, including their weakest ones, without a huge amount of work.

It's not arrogance, it's defence of you saying I got Bs.
I know, but even people I know who said they did sh*t mostly get As.
Reply 28
Impossible to know. This person is probably not stupid, at least.
Personally I don’t think that’s that difficult at all but obviously depends on the person
I think most people don't realise what "no revision" means; many people claim this, but they do little revision (a week or day before the exam) and attend classes.
I actually did no revision at all, not even 5 minutes before the exams, didn't do a single piece of homework and attended 70% of classes, So I missed 3 days per 2 weeks on average, which is a lot for a GCSE student.

I find it difficult to believe that someone who has done no revision at all gets all A*s, even if you did 20 mins of revision that doesn't count as no revision.

My results were similar, but a few more Bs and Cs, but that's because GCSEs don't really test much in terms of intelligence, having done no revision, I didn't deserve Bs and Cs, I should have failed most of them, but even me not being academically inclined and attending 70% of lessons was enough for a B, that's not how it should be.

Same goes for A level, even though it's more difficult than GCSE and revision is required, it's not insanely challenging. However having to recap GCSE material when starting AS maths was a pain. Which goes to show how easy gcse maths is because I got an A (my only one) and most people were saying that C1 (the starting module of a level at the time) was basically mostly GCSE and I didn't recall ever learning most of the things.
Original post by Aaryra
It's not arrogance, it's defence of you saying I got Bs.
I know, but even people I know who said they did sh*t mostly get As.

No I'm saying that calling GCSEs 'piss easy' just because you could get those grades without much work (which is hard to believe anyway) is arrogant. And I didn't say you got Bs. If I ever talked about someone getting less than A*s, it was in third person.

Quick Reply

Latest