The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

MSc Early Intervention in Psychosis at KCL or MSc Clinical Psychology at Bangor Uni

Hello

I am an international student who is planning to study Msc Psychology in the UK and I have got offers from KCL for their MSc Early intervention in psychosis for Sept 2019 and from Bangor University in their MSc clinical Psychology program for Sept 2019.
I am also waiting for a reply from RHUL for my offer in their Msc clinical psych course.

I wanted any info at all that I could get on these unis and these courses if anyone can help me out with that? Specifically how well reputed their Psychology departments are. Ranking is a factor for me but more so I want to go to the place which has the best psychology program out of these three.

I also wanted to know how the MSc course is at KCL specifically since there isn’t much info on it and how their psychology department is

Can anyone please help me out with this? I would really appreciate it.
Reply 1
Hi Maiyah,

I am also starting the Early Interventions in Psychosis MSc in September!

Many congratulations on all your offers! Whilst I do not know much about the other Universities mentioned, my main reason for choosing Kings is because of their Incredibly well renowned Institute of Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience. You can find out more information on their website in regards to this :smile: The course leader has been extremely helpful with any questions I have had, so i’d really recommend asking them if you have any specific questions (I just dropped them an email, and they were very quick to respond back!).

I also looked at Royal Holloway as an option for Clinical Psychology MSc (as I wish to pursue a doctorate after the completion of my masters) however for me personally I found their course too broad. Kings specifically mentioned that this course was suitable for those aiming to go into a clinical doctorate in their website.

I hope it all goes extremely well for you regardless of where you go, and if you do choose Kings, I look forward to seeing you in September! Please feel free to message me should you have any further questions :smile:

Ezgi x
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Also, just incase it helps, I have put the link of the League tables for Psychology specifically for 2020. You can also have a look at the general rankings of Universities on this site aswell! But as far as I know, Kings has a very good reputation for Psychology :smile:

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=psychology
Reply 3
Original post by Ezgi18
Hi Maiyah,

I am also starting the Early Interventions in Psychosis MSc in September!

Many congratulations on all your offers! Whilst I do not know much about the other Universities mentioned, my main reason for choosing Kings is because of their Incredibly well renowned Institute of Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience. You can find out more information on their website in regards to this :smile: The course leader has been extremely helpful with any questions I have had, so i’d really recommend asking them if you have any specific questions (I just dropped them an email, and they were very quick to respond back!).

I also looked at Royal Holloway as an option for Clinical Psychology MSc (as I wish to pursue a doctorate after the completion of my masters) however for me personally I found their course too broad. Kings specifically mentioned that this course was suitable for those aiming to go into a clinical doctorate in their website.

I hope it all goes extremely well for you regardless of where you go, and if you do choose Kings, I look forward to seeing you in September! Please feel free to message me should you have any further questions :smile:

Ezgi x

Hi Ezgi!

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate the help. Congratulations to you btw! Happy to know you’ll be going to King’s this September!

And I have firmed King’s as my uni as well and accepted their offer for the Msc Early Intervention in Psychosis! I’ve read a lot about King’s and their prestigious IoPPN and the course and decided I couldn’t let this opportunity go. So hopefully if my visa process goes through in time, I will be starting the course this year in September too!:smile:

The reason I was planning for Royal Holloway initially was because even though it’s not as renowned as King’s, the tuition fee was a lot cheaper and their msc clinical psych course was really interesting and I do plan on doing a doctorate in clinical psych in the future as well so studying that programme would be a great preparation for that. But I haven’t heard a decision from them still :/ And besides, like you said, the course at King’s is ideal too for progressing onto a doctorate and it was obviously a much better choice so I went ahead and accepted last week!

If I’m there in September, I really look forward to meeting you! Thank you again for your help! :smile:

Sumaiyah xx

Spoiler

Reply 4
Original post by Ezgi18
Also, just incase it helps, I have put the link of the League tables for Psychology specifically for 2020. You can also have a look at the general rankings of Universities on this site aswell! But as far as I know, Kings has a very good reputation for Psychology :smile:

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=psychology

Thank you so much Ezgi! I’ve gone through the league tables for 2020 Psychology as well and it was really helpful in making my final decision! 😄
Reply 5
Original post by maiyah.1597
Hi Ezgi!

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate the help. Congratulations to you btw! Happy to know you’ll be going to King’s this September!

And I have firmed King’s as my uni as well and accepted their offer for the Msc Early Intervention in Psychosis! I’ve read a lot about King’s and their prestigious IoPPN and the course and decided I couldn’t let this opportunity go. So hopefully if my visa process goes through in time, I will be starting the course this year in September too!:smile:

The reason I was planning for Royal Holloway initially was because even though it’s not as renowned as King’s, the tuition fee was a lot cheaper and their msc clinical psych course was really interesting and I do plan on doing a doctorate in clinical psych in the future as well so studying that programme would be a great preparation for that. But I haven’t heard a decision from them still :/ And besides, like you said, the course at King’s is ideal too for progressing onto a doctorate and it was obviously a much better choice so I went ahead and accepted last week!

If I’m there in September, I really look forward to meeting you! Thank you again for your help! :smile:

Sumaiyah xx

Spoiler

Hi Sumaiyah,

I’m so glad I was of some help! So happy to hear that you have accepted your offer and I hope the whole visa process goes very smoothly for you.

Just to let you know there is a Facebook page for our course under the name of KCL Early Interventions in Psychosis MSc 2019-2020 incase you were interested :smile:

I hope to see you in September! All the best with it!

Ezgi x
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Ezgi18
Hi Sumaiyah,

I’m so glad I was of some help! So happy to hear that you have accepted your offer and I hope the whole visa process goes very smoothly for you.

Just to let you know there is a Facebook page for our course under the name of KCL Early Interventions in Psychosis MSc 2019-2020 incase you were interested :smile:

I hope to see you in September! All the best with it!

Ezgi x

Hi Ezgi

Thank you for your help and the wishes, that’s really sweet of you! I really hope it works out smoothly as well. And thank you for the group info too! I’ll look into that later 😀

Looking forward to seeing you in September😄

Sumaiyah xx
Original post by maiyah.1597
Hello

I am an international student who is planning to study Msc Psychology in the UK and I have got offers from KCL for their MSc Early intervention in psychosis for Sept 2019 and from Bangor University in their MSc clinical Psychology program for Sept 2019.
I am also waiting for a reply from RHUL for my offer in their Msc clinical psych course.

I wanted any info at all that I could get on these unis and these courses if anyone can help me out with that? Specifically how well reputed their Psychology departments are. Ranking is a factor for me but more so I want to go to the place which has the best psychology program out of these three.

I also wanted to know how the MSc course is at KCL specifically since there isn’t much info on it and how their psychology department is

Can anyone please help me out with this? I would really appreciate it.

Hi maiyah.1597

Great to hear you are interested in Bangor University.

Why not follow the link below to find out more about the school of Psychology:

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/virtualopenday-psychology/intro.php.en

If you would like me to put you in touch with a member of staff from the department, fell free to let me know :smile:

We also have a Postgraduate Open Day taking place on the 6th of November and you can find out more here:

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/pgfair/index.php.en

This will give you the perfect oppotunity to find out more about the department itself and speak to academic staff about the specific course.

Hope this helps :h:

Sera

Quick Reply

Latest