The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

KCL - Early Intervention in Psychosis MSc

Currently, I work as a full-time Occupational therapy assistant, within inpatient services. It has solidified this idea I want to do more research... and I continue to find psychosis deeply fascinating. It ties in with a lot of where my passions lie, so a particular course in London caught my eye. It's a bit of a pipe dream.... :h:

So, I'm considering applying for Early Intervention in Psychosis, at KCL. I have done a huge amount of research into everything from scholarships/loans to the contact hours and commute within London. As a Yorkshire lass, I know about London from what I've experienced as a tourist. But I am drawn to live in London, but the cost of living is absolutely... wild :cry:

However, that is absolutely not dissuading me to try as the course sounds so wonderful and ticks so many boxes for me. I will also be looking to apply to Bath and Warwick, for 2024 entry. I would go into more detail but I will be going veryyy off-topic :colondollar: So I was wondering if anyone could:

*Give me a sense of what it is like studying that course, or even at the IoPPN? I'm curious about examinations, facilities, opportunities for the research project (what is possible to do), placement, course contact hours, etc.

*What is KCL university like? The general feel, communication, employment support.. some pros and cons that maybe people wouldn't know about without studying there first.

*Tips for managing money in London, in relation to transport and some ideas about reasonable housing? ;( I have been investigating some private accom, such as the places near Denmark Hill, and student accommodation but some of it is... very expensive. As I expected, but want to see if maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place, or some insight into working alongside the MSc? I decided full-time would be more feasible due to high living costs... not sure about paying living expenses for two years... :frown: I will be saving up a huge chunk of money and probably investigating a part-time or bank role... it's just hard to gauge how much time there is to work.

Any information about the vibe of KCL and in particular the course, would be immensely appreciated
Reply 1
Hey! I went to the open day for this course and I'm starting in September. I spoke to one of the course leaders and he told me the course is taught one module at a time with an essay after each module then when they are finished there is a series of exams. Then you focus on placement and dissertation for the last 5-6 months. They currently have around 35 places available each year and lectures are twice a week for the first half. They did it this way to make the course easier to manage for students and to ensue they get the most support.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by raven48
Hey! I went to the open day for this course and I'm starting in September. I spoke to one of the course leaders and he told me the course is taught one module at a time with an essay after each module then when they are finished there is a series of exams. Then you focus on placement and dissertation for the last 5-6 months. They currently have around 35 places available each year and lectures are twice a week for the first half. They did it this way to make the course easier to manage for students and to ensue they get the most support.

Sorry for not getting back to you ☹️
I'm usually better at responses but with SR, I tend to avoid it as it feels a little toxic to navigate. I really really appreciate the answer. So thank you.

It does sound manageable from your details.. gives me time to process a module, write notes or diagrams to aid me memorising things 😆 Might allow me an opportunity to work or pick up an extra research project besides... but that's wishful thinking.

Alsooooo - I got my offer last week and I'll be starting next September 🥳
Reply 3
No worries and that’s great news congrats!!!

Quick Reply

Latest