The Student Room Group

Owen Jones assaulted by far right thugs

Scroll to see replies

He annoys me at times but didn't deserve to be assaulted. Hope they catch and bring to justice the perps
Right wing rules Boris for brexit
Original post by Alexty28
Wow the obvious bias on tsr lol. Assault against Farage and everyone is cheering. Assault against Owen Jones and all of a sudden you are disgusted? I don't like either of these two gents but assaulting someone over political views is wrong.

Excellent point and in 8hrs nobody has answered it.
Spot on.
Reply 23
Original post by Just my opinion
Excellent point and in 8hrs nobody has answered it.
Spot on.

Possibly because nobody cares if some oik like farage gets milkshaked. Never mind theres a rather large difference between throwing a drink at someone (whilst an 'attack' it is not one that is likely to cause any form of injury) compared to punching someone in the face which can be quite lethal. The fact you two are trying to conflate two things which are obviously incomparable is just dishonest.
Reply 24
Original post by Alexty28
Wow the obvious bias on tsr lol. Assault against Farage and everyone is cheering. Assault against Owen Jones and all of a sudden you are disgusted? I don't like either of these two gents but assaulting someone over political views is wrong.

TSR is just a small representation of the student populous as a whole, although there are a few right wingers (like myself) a large majority are left wing.
Reply 25
Owen Jones got what he deserved

He is a typical Marxist hasn't done a single days hard work in his life

Too busy reading communist manifesto

Marxists = anti-working class always have been.
Original post by Druadh
Owen Jones got what he deserved

He is a typical Marxist hasn't done a single days hard work in his life

Too busy reading communist manifesto

Marxists = anti-working class always have been.

Nobody who peacefully carries out journalism deserves to be assaulted.
who cares owen jones supports political violence, he cant complain now that its being done to him
Reply 28
g

Original post by josh75
who cares owen jones supports political violence, he cant complain now that its being done to him

Whilst i dont particularly like his preachy whining i cant say ive ever heard him "support political violence"... wold you kindly link us to where hes done this?
Well since #punchanazai has become such an encouraged phenomenon, how can anyone expect me to be surprised when someone from the other side does it your own folks?
Original post by The Mogg
TSR is just a small representation of the student populous as a whole, although there are a few right wingers (like myself) a large majority are left wing.

We must be one of the few who are right wing
Original post by Napp
g

Whilst i dont particularly like his preachy whining i cant say ive ever heard him "support political violence"... wold you kindly link us to where hes done this?

Read his twitter feed for 20 May: https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1130470578882863104

He was rather pleased that Nigel Farage had been struck by a milkshake (while simultaneously exploiting the murder of Jo Cox). His responders on that day warned him that it would escalate. They were right.

Now, like FoS, you might think throwing milkshakes is merely a bit of banter but it isn't; it is a criminal assault, no different in principle (but less effective) than what has been perpetrated on Jones. The far left and far right are of a kind, and sympathy for Jones is misplaced.
Original post by Good bloke
Read his twitter feed for 20 May: https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1130470578882863104

He was rather pleased that Nigel Farage had been struck by a milkshake (while simultaneously exploiting the murder of Jo Cox). His responders on that day warned him that it would escalate. They were right.

Now, like FoS, you might think throwing milkshakes is merely a bit of banter but it isn't; it is a criminal assault, no different in principle (but less effective) than what has been perpetrated on Jones. The far left and far right are of a kind, and sympathy for Jones is misplaced.

I don't personally approve of chucking anything at people. Throwing milkshakes at politicians is not debate, it's childish and inflammatory. That do ya?

It remains the case though that the two are not comparable. Throwing food at politicians has a long history in this country and is not widely regarded as a criminal assault, it is regarded as a humiliating and offensive behaviour but one that falls short of being violent. Let's just remember for a sec that when Owen Jones was down on the ground, these fascist thugs kicked him in the head.

Perspective, please.
Reply 34

I'm not sure that quite counts as inciting political violence as opposed to making a questionable joke?

Not an unreasonable position to take vis-a-vis farage

Indeed it is but as i said there is still a gulf between throwing a drink at someone (which is not at all dangerous) and punching someone which can quite happily kill them..
Although i do tend to agree with you on your last point that, broadly speaking, the two extremes do tend to share certain traits.
Original post by Napp
Not an unreasonable position to take vis-a-vis farage

So you, too, applaud violence when it is directed against someone you don't like.

You cannot have it both ways. You either condemn all violence, or you accept that your opponents will do unto others in retaliation, and that such things will escalate from minor violence, through pain to serious life-threatening injuries and then murder.

If your argument has to be propagated by violence, no matter how minor, then you should look closely at whether it is a good argument. Obviously, the thugs of the far right and those of Anti-Fa have gone too far by a long way. Mr Jones is not exactly on the fence, and neither are you, as your words here illustrate Let's hope the thugs don't come for you too..

Do you really not understand the difference between throwing a drink at someone and beating someone up? They are not comparable.
Original post by James23121
Do you really not understand the difference between throwing a drink at someone and beating someone up? They are not comparable.

They are both assault. One causes damage rather than injury. One is a more physically effective assault than the other. One leads, via escalation, to the other. Both should be condemned.
They are both assault. One causes damage rather than injury. One is a more physically effective assault than the other. One leads, via escalation, to the other. Both should be condemned.

There are lots of shades of assault. Arguably accosting someone by placing a hand on their arm is 'assault', but not many people (or jurists) would compare it with kicking someone's head in whilst they lie helpless on the ground.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There are lots of shades of assault. Arguably accosting someone by placing a hand on their arm is 'assault', but not many people (or jurists) would compare it with kicking someone's head in whilst they lie helpless on the ground.

OK. Let's be a bit more pedantic, which involves stepping up a notch in criminal legal terms. Both are battery.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending