The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
In 2010 the standard offer will be A*AA. See http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/news/dp/2009031306
Reply 41
mja
In 2010 the standard offer will be A*AA. See http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/news/dp/2009031306

OK, now people can panic.:p:
hobnob
OK, now people can panic.:p:

They could always apply to the other place? :tongue:
Reply 43
Andy the Anarchist
They could always apply to the other place? :tongue:

Not if they wanted to do a subject like philosophy or SPS, which the other place doesn't offer...

To be fair, though, they're most likely to use this for sciency subjects, where quite a few successful offer holders probably achieve the equivalent of an A* for their most relevant subject anyway. I'd imagine it might potentially be a bit trickier with subjects like English or history, where marking isn't quite as objective.:dontknow:
hobnob
Not if they wanted to do a subject like philosophy or SPS, which the other place doesn't offer...

To be fair, though, they're most likely to use this for sciency subjects

The website states that this is the new standard offer for most subjects, though.
Reply 45
Good bloke
The website states that this is the new standard offer for most subjects, though.

Oops, you're right.:s-smilie:
Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Oxford please dont follow. Getting 90% on an easy test is about avoiding silly errors more than natural talent. This strategy has to be avoided.
I could understand for specific subjects like maths, where precision is required and a candidate who gets 95% is probably more talented than one with 80%.

But in something like history, all you need is a slightly dodgy question to drop 10%. You would end up with chances being determined by your capacity to second guess what the examiner is asking for in the specific question, rather than your ability.

I think Oxford should keep the entrance exams (HAT, BMAT,TSA, ELAT etc) since surely a specific aptitude test would be more helpful than a tiny percentage difference in a subjectively marked paper.
Reply 48
So let me get this straight, Oxford have so far not said anything on revising their standard offers?

Also, to get predicted an A* in a subject when applying to unis, would I basically have to get over 90% for AS in that subject?
Reply 49
Hedgeman49
This can't be right - the A* will first be used for the year group entering university in September 2010. Unless you're spending three years in sixth form...?

Technically, yes I am, but I'm just finishing off the English A-level that I started this year. So I'll be technically be able to get an A* in one subject.
Reply 50
Hey you all,

This is quite shocking! Especially Cambridge isn't the only one and I'm pretty sure the Examiners advised (and some hinted that A* shouldn't be used so soon, at least after a few years).

I wonder when they will update their "new" typical entry offers for the specified A*AA subjects.. o__o. :s-smilie:
Reply 51
As an IB student, I'm glad that the new grade has been implemented because 3A's doesn't by any stretch of imagination compare to getting 7s in your HL subjects. You see IB students stressing over offers like 42 and even 43 points, which is ridiculous as less than 10% of students achieve 7s.
Reply 52
Have Cambridge said anything about prediction expectations for applicants yet? Or any other thoughts on what applicants *should* be predicted to stand a decent chance?
Reply 53
Mitch92uK
Have Cambridge said anything about prediction expectations for applicants yet? Or any other thoughts on what applicants *should* be predicted to stand a decent chance?

Cambridge said that their standard offer would be A*AA, so if your prediction ranges around this then you're fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending