The Student Room Group

Second degree in social work..

Hi,
I
(edited 3 months ago)
Hi there. Just to confirm you haven't already gained a qualification? How many years have you studied previously and how many years will the new course be? Thanks, Leah.
Original post by Clmjlm
Hi,
I have already studied mental health nursing some years ago which I received full sfe funding for but did not pass the course in the final year due to ill health.. however I wish to do a social work degree and was wondering if I would be eligible for student finance for this? Thanks

Hi there,

If you decide to study Social Work full-time then you'll be entitled to the Maintenance Loan only.

However, Social Work courses are exceptions when studied part-time. So, if you decide to do this part-time you should be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan for the duration.

So long as this course isn't distance learning you should also be entitled to the Maintenance Loan too.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 3
Original post by Leah SLC
Hi there. Just to confirm you haven't already gained a qualification? How many years have you studied previously and how many years will the new course be? Thanks, Leah.

Hi Leah,

I gained a level 5 qualification for the 2 completed years but not a level 6 degree.

I studied for 2 and a half years basically and the new course will be 3 years

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

If you decide to study Social Work full-time then you'll be entitled to the Maintenance Loan only.

However, Social Work courses are exceptions when studied part-time. So, if you decide to do this part-time you should be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan for the duration.

So long as this course isn't distance learning you should also be entitled to the Maintenance Loan too.

Thanks, Graeme

Thank you Graeme
Original post by Clmjlm
Thank you Graeme

You're welcome. Enjoy the rest of your day.

Thanks, Drew
Original post by Clmjlm
Hi Leah,

I gained a level 5 qualification for the 2 completed years but not a level 6 degree.

I studied for 2 and a half years basically and the new course will be 3 years

Thanks

Hi there. Since you don't already hold a level 6 qualification, if you studied the Social work part-time you would be entitled to Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee. If this is a distance learning course, this would be Tuition Fee only. We don't take full-time previous study into account for part-time courses.

If you study the Social Work full-time, we use this calculation:

New course length + Additional Year Previous study years

For example, your new course is 3 years long, your calculation would be:

3 + 1 3 = 1 years entitlement

This means the 1 year of funding would be added to the final year of the new course, but the Tuition Fee would be blocked for Year 1 and 2. However, you would still be entitled to a Maintenance Loan (if eligible) for all years.

Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending