The Student Room Group

Can I get funding for a DipHE after completing a CertHE in a different subject?

Hi, I’m planning on contacting student finance but thought I’d ask here in the meantime in case anyone could offer any advice please.

I’m enrolled with the open university on a health and social care degree (currently not studying due to recently having a baby). I have completed the first two modules part time so spread over 2 years and received funding for both of these modules. The open university awarded me with a certificate of higher education after the second module was completed.

Over my time off of studying I have had a change of heart about my career path and am considering asking the university if I can change my course to a diploma of higher education in criminology (studied part time so 4 years of study).

I find student finance quite complicated and the rules difficult to understand so I just wondered if anyone here is able to advise and explain in simpler terms if I am likely to receive funding if I ask to change my course? I’d really appreciate any help people can offer!

Thank you 🙂

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

What is the full name of the course and university you're looking to study at? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for your reply.

It’s the Diploma of Higher Education in Criminology and Psychology. Course code W57 with The Open University.
Original post by Kelsey993
Hi, thanks for your reply.

It’s the Diploma of Higher Education in Criminology and Psychology. Course code W57 with The Open University.

Thanks Kelsey,

Just to confirm do you hold any other degree and how many years is the new course? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
I don’t have a degree, all I have at the moment is a certificate of higher education in adult health and social care studied part time over 2 years with the open university.

The new course is with the open university as well, 4 years part time (60 credits per year for a total of 240 credits gaining a diploma of higher education in criminology and psychology).

Thank you!
I don’t have a degree, all I have at the moment is a certificate of higher education in adult health and social care studied part time over 2 years with the open university.

The new course is with the open university as well, 4 years part time (60 credits per year for a total of 240 credits gaining a diploma of higher education in criminology and psychology).

Thank you!

Thanks Kelsey,

As you're progressing to a DipHE you should be eligible for the funding for the new course as it's a higher level. Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Does this include funding for stage 1 of this course (the first two years) as they are equal to the certificate of higher education qualification that I already have?

I’m a bit confused about the ELQ rule. Are you ok if the overall qualification that you will achieve at the end of the course is higher than what you already have and therefore fully funded? Or would it be that the first two years would not be funded as these are equal to the qualification I already have but the final two years WOULD be funded as they are on a higher level than the qualification I currently hold?
Does this include funding for stage 1 of this course (the first two years) as they are equal to the certificate of higher education qualification that I already have?

I’m a bit confused about the ELQ rule. Are you ok if the overall qualification that you will achieve at the end of the course is higher than what you already have and therefore fully funded? Or would it be that the first two years would not be funded as these are equal to the qualification I already have but the final two years WOULD be funded as they are on a higher level than the qualification I currently hold?

Because you're studying it at a part time level you should be funded for the duration of the new course.

Just to confirm, do you have the course code as I do see a 2 and 3 year version of criminology and psychology on their database but not a 4 year one. Thanks, Jason
Reply 8
The course code is W57. This is copy and pasted directly from their website:

Diploma of Higher Education in Criminology and Psychology
Course code: W57

It’s 1 module per year at 60 credits each to make up 240 credits over 4 years.
Hi there. When would you be looking to start this course? Thanks, Leah.
Reply 10
Hi, it starts October 2024.
Hi, it starts October 2024.

Thanks. The university haven't put this course on our system for 24/25 yet. However, it was funded for 23/24. They may not add it until a later date, but I cannot check the one for 24/25 yet, sorry. Thanks, Leah.
Reply 12
Hi, thanks for your reply but I’m a bit confused.

I’m asking if the full 4 years should be fully funded as the overall diploma of higher education qualification is higher than the certificate of higher education that I already hold. Even though the first two years of study for this qualification are equal to the certificate of higher education that I already have, that shouldn’t matter as the end qualification is higher?
Hi, thanks for your reply but I’m a bit confused.

I’m asking if the full 4 years should be fully funded as the overall diploma of higher education qualification is higher than the certificate of higher education that I already hold. Even though the first two years of study for this qualification are equal to the certificate of higher education that I already have, that shouldn’t matter as the end qualification is higher?

Hi there, Jason did respond to this in his massage above. Because you're studying it at a part time level you should be funded for the duration of the new course. However, we ask for the course to check it is definitely funded by us and the details of the course. Thanks, Leah.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 14
Thank you. I just wanted to confirm as it seemed strange that the ELQ rules would differ depending on if you were studying full time or part time. There is a lot of info online indicating that the first two years would not be funded as they are at an equivalent level to what I already have and then funding would kick back in for the third and fourth year as this is the higher qualification.

I couldn’t find any info online to say that the ELQ rule applies to the new overall qualification, rather than what each individual year is equal to so I just wanted to be sure I understood correctly.
Thank you. I just wanted to confirm as it seemed strange that the ELQ rules would differ depending on if you were studying full time or part time. There is a lot of info online indicating that the first two years would not be funded as they are at an equivalent level to what I already have and then funding would kick back in for the third and fourth year as this is the higher qualification.

I couldn’t find any info online to say that the ELQ rule applies to the new overall qualification, rather than what each individual year is equal to so I just wanted to be sure I understood correctly.

Yes, the full time and part time exception courses differ.

Since the one for 23/24 is an exception course, this would be fully funded regardless of your previous qualification. Again, I cannot see any with this for 24/25 yet that is funded by us.

Please be aware that this is general advice. We cannot guarantee anything until the application is fully assessed. You can make an application with us before being accepted on the course.

Thanks, Leah.
Reply 16
Thanks so much. Are you able to advise when part time applications open?
Thanks so much. Are you able to advise when part time applications open?

Hi Kelsey,

Part time applications normally open later in the year, around summer. I would advise to keep checking our website and social media channels for further updates.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 18
Thank you. As I’m currently enrolled with the open university and looking to change my course but stay with the open university, would I need to update my current student finance with the new course details or start a completely new application for the new course?
Thank you. As I’m currently enrolled with the open university and looking to change my course but stay with the open university, would I need to update my current student finance with the new course details or start a completely new application for the new course?

Hi There. The new Academic Year starts in September 2024, so it would be a new application you would make for the new course. Thanks, Leah.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending