The Student Room Group

Help - gcses too low for entry requirements

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LOLOLOLOL6867
Guys if you could please help me in finding a sixth form. Preferably in East London. I want to study A Level Biology Chemistry and Economics. I am willing to work as hard as i ever did. My GCSE Grades were 6 in maths. I got a 6 in english language. I got a 5 in Literature. Physics i got 6. biology i got 5. chemistry i got 5. business i got 8. geography i got 6. re i got 4.
Enter into google maps:

Sixth Forms in East London.

List out all of the options which are near enough to you.

Visit the website of each institution on your list.

Look to see if they advertise any entry requirements.

Decide if you're able to go.

If you can, ring them up, ask if they'll take you. If they will then say you'll get back to them on Monday.

Repeat this for every Sixth Form on your list and you might have some options.
im really stressed right now. is there any sixth form that will accept me?

You meet all the requirements for out of London universities and some in London uni's that have requirements for GCSE's like 6 for maths and English language. You might need to talk to you PPM or get your parents involved and your last resort look for other sixth forms or colleges, there is a lot out there, call them they'll let you in. 5 isn't too bad " As in getting into an A level with those grades".
Bro just be thankful you aren’t in my situation. I also wanted to study biology in chemistry. Yesterday I got my results and I got a 7 in chemistry and a 6 in biology but I wasn’t allowed to to take them because I was one mark off a 6 in maths .
Original post by X1PRINCE
You meet all the requirements for out of London universities and some in London uni's that have requirements for GCSE's like 6 for maths and English language. You might need to talk to you PPM or get your parents involved and your last resort look for other sixth forms or colleges, there is a lot out there, call them they'll let you in. 5 isn't too bad " As in getting into an A level with those grades".
Which universities are accepting candidates with 5s in sciences for medicine?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Which universities are accepting candidates with 5s in sciences for medicine?

Bristol, Plymouth? Some uni's out there who look at Maths and English language. Brighton and Sussex? There's more but I can't be bothered to list them, there is an entry requirements list I was shown before and some of the uni's do only want Language and Maths for GCSE, some uni's like the ones in Newcastle don't even look at GCSE's/
Original post by T-seriesTSR
St Dominics.

St Dominic's will not accept you unless you had applied previously because it's competitive to get into
Guys thanks for all the replies. I finally found a college that will accept me for a level bio chem psychology

However being realistic will I get into medicine with my grades at GCSE?

If yes what unis are most likely to accept. I really want to go to a uni in London.

I am planning on working as hard as I can to get 3A*s on A level.
Guys thanks for all the replies. I finally found a college that will accept me for a level bio chem psychology

If yes what unis are most likely to accept. I really want to go to a uni in London.

not gonna lie realistically for a subject like medicine whilst you can have a good holistic application those GCSE grades are weak. You could consider doing biology and chemistry again with the next lot of year 11s. Kings accepts resits, St George's doesn't, Queen Mary does. I would suggest doing more research, email unis and see. UCAT and a level predictions also play a huge part in the application but you want to apply strategically

Don’t underestimate how hard an A* at a level is, there are people in my chemistry class who easily got A*s and gcse and are now scraping B’s
Most medical schools want a minimum of 5 GCSEs at GRADE 7 and above. You’re already extremely limited to where you can apply. You will also need a minimum of AAA predicted grades in a years time.

Did you put the work in for GCSE’s?
Tbh I dont think medicine is for you because your gcse grades are poor.
Original post by .unknown
Tbh I dont think medicine is for you because your gcse grades are poor.
Where are you drawing this conclusion from? Plenty of med schools will be fine with this set of results. Some certainly won't be please don't make assumptions like this.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/results/gcse/medical-school-gcse-requirements
Original post by Laycity
Most medical schools want a minimum of 5 GCSEs at GRADE 7 and above. You’re already extremely limited to where you can apply. You will also need a minimum of AAA predicted grades in a years time.

Did you put the work in for GCSE’s?
Maybe half, but most is pushing it.

The answer is you can:

Whether you will or not depends on your BMAT and all the other factors they take into account.

Not every med school will take GCSEs into account, some just set a certain standard as a benchmark for applicants and won't consider them in any other way. Others assess the grades competitively.

Always do your own research.
Hmmm, it's only recently been updated. :beard:

@rubyoh @shooks FYI

Meeting the gcse requirements for med school is one thing, actually having competitive grades is a completely different thing. This person will struggle
Original post by Huckipity
Meeting the gcse requirements for med school is one thing, actually having competitive grades is a completely different thing. This person will struggle
As I said in a post earlier, some med schools will not be assessing GCSEs competitively. And I never implied OP wouldn't struggle.
I never really put in any work in GCSE. For all the subjects I just did a all nighter before the exam.
Should I retake GCSEs whilst doing A Levels?

Quick Reply

Latest