The Student Room Group

Do these GCSE grades put me at a significant disadvantage for Cambridge?

Hi all,
I'll be in year 13 come September and so, like everyone else, university application is at the forefront of my mind. I would like to study Philosophy at Cambridge, and although I'm working incredibly hard to get my predicted grades at A Level (A*A*A) , I can't help but feel my GCSE grades will allow other, stronger candidates to get the places.

At GCSE I achieved:
English Literature - 9
History - 9
R.E. - 9
English Language - 7
Maths - 7
Comb. Science Gr1 - 7
Comb. Science Gr2 - 7
French - 6
+
BTEC Art - L2D*

Although I was quite disappointed with these results, I certainly wasn't surprised. There were some extenuating circumstances which contributed to this outcome. During exam season, me and my family were pending eviction. My dad had been told by the landlord that we needed to be ready to leave the house at any time over a period of three months. Me and my brother didn't have anywhere to go, other than to my mum, who was and is an opioid addict. I had to stay half the week every fortnight at my mum's, and over the course of a year my relationship with her had become intolerably toxic, which is directly attributable to her destructive addiction (which ripped our family apart in the first place).

I was consequently stressed beyond imagination and the exam season was very very difficult for me. I revised as much as I could, but our eviction coming closer and closer, and the knowledge that I'd have to go live with my mum once we were evicted, was too distracting for me to work to the standard I wanted to be at.

A year later, my situation is more stable. I've moved in with my mum and I only see my dad around once a month. I have moved to a new sixth form with a better track record and my year 12 grades have been pretty good at a A*/A standard. Our relationship has improved a lot and I feel that I can achieve my predicted grades if I keep up the work.

But do I still have a chance at Cambridge even if they know these extenuating circumstances? Is it worth resitting some of my GCSEs next summer perhaps and then applying post A Level with both sets of results?

Any help is appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending