The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Have not done Further Maths and going to Imperial College - how should I get ready?

Hey guys! So my school didn't offer Further Maths and I'm a bit worried I'll be behind when I arrive at uni. Do you know of any online courses I could do over this month to get up to speed? I'm starting Aeronautical Engineering next september.
Reply 1
Most courses will take into account the level of maths required and your first year is likely to include the maths modules you need for your course.

I am told linear algebra is a good place to start (YouTube - 3 blue 1 brown channel may help)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
If anything, I'd suggest maybe doing some work on complex numbers and matrices; they're the main topics which come up a lot which it would be useful to have some familiarity with (even if it's just, knowing what they are and what they entail, if not being able to actually do any problems using them yet). Presumably IC will send you any recommendations on material to work on before arriving if necessary though.

Linear algebra is just the formalised theory (and practice) of using matrices, so I'd suggest starting with A-level FM treatment of matrices before moving on to LA proper. You can of course go right into it but, having some intuitive idea of how to handle matrices might make the LA stuff more accessible.

Also you probably won't need proper LA in an engineering course anyway.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending